Brake question

My sons jr1 champ (rage) when he comes off the track his brake rotor is super hot to the point almost burning your finger to the touch. I swore up and down he was unintentionally riding the brakes. I installed the go pro and found out he was not. This in on a fast 1/8 mile clay oval where brakes are only used to slow down to exit the track or accidents.. on the stand there is no brake rubbing. And the rotor appears to be centered with the caliper. Can the axle be walking to one side causing the rotor to rub a pad? The rotor actually got discolored from the heat. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Dana Garton

Axle could be walking and loading one side against the pad. Also a hard biting chassis on a track with good banking can twist the rear frame sections enough to cause it to rub on the pads. Another thing where is the exhaust aimed at? It wouldn’t take much of a push on the pedal to cause the rotor to heat up over time and I doubt you could see it on the tach

Axle could be walking and loading one side against the pad. Also a hard biting chassis on a track with good banking can twist the rear frame sections enough to cause it to rub on the pads. Another thing where is the exhaust aimed at? It wouldn’t take much of a push on the pedal to cause the rotor to heat up over time and I doubt you could see it on the tach
Yeah I think ur right.. I’ve never noticed this until I changed the rear axle bearings .. I’m leaning towards the axle walking some.

Are your axle collars set on the proper sides to keep the axle in place? I've seen guys put them both for one direction and not the other. The other thing might be air/water leaking into the system and expanding when hot.

Are your axle collars set on the proper sides to keep the axle in place? I've seen guys put them both for one direction and not the other. The other thing might be air/water leaking into the system and expanding when hot.
Great questions. We did rupture a brake line a few weeks ago and did a quick at track repair.

Back