Brakes

JanGaLanG

Bought a used kart, only raced it once but noticed the brake pedal is really loose an in it has no resistance the first 2 inches it's just floppy. Did alittle inspecting today and the rod going into the master cylinder doesn't have any pressure on it till the pedal is pressed in quite a bit. I hope I explained that well enough. Any help will be appreciated.

Master Cylinder piston could be getting stuck and not returning all the way. Might need to rebuild MC.

The piston going into the master cylinder doesn't seem stuck. But doesn't have pressure till a certain point.

Check the fluid level.
Bleed the brakes .
2" is about all the travel they have .
Tighten the pads closer to the disc , if they're adjustable.

The rod going in to the master cylinder should have pressure on it all the time due to the internal spring pushing the piston out unless the piston is getting caught on something and not returning all the way. The internal spring may be weak and/or broken as well.I have had more than one do what you are describing and it was always the piston getting stuck on the return due to corrosion. More than likely going to have to rebuild it. Is it an enginetics or MCP master cylinder?

The rod going in to the master cylinder should have pressure on it all the time due to the internal spring pushing the piston out unless the piston is getting caught on something and not returning all the way. The internal spring may be weak and/or broken as well.I have had more than one do what you are describing and it was always the piston getting stuck on the return due to corrosion. More than likely going to have to rebuild it. Is it an enginetics or MCP master cylinder?
It's an mcp, I have a couple others that don't do what this one was doing. I haven't ever had to rebuild one of these. Is it hard, and where can I get a kit?

It’s not overly difficult. I believe the rebuild kit comes with instructions. I got my last rebuild kit from TS Racing but you can also get them from dyno cams and MCP themselves. You just need some Emory cloth or steel wool to clean the piston bore. The kits are fairly inexpensive, somewhere in the $20 range. You local kart shop might also have the kits.

Back