Brand New Predator 212 won't start.

bike4life

*I have Spark
*The governor and oil sensor are removed.
*Compression tests (done cold) yield 60psi.
*I adjusted the valve leash to spec 8/1000 exhaust 6/1000 intake.
*The valve cover does not have a gasket on it, but I don't see how that would prevent it from starting.
The ENGINE BRIEFLY RUNS OF A SQUIRT OF STARTER FLUID, then dies, as expected.
Thus, u guys would probably say its a fuel problem? However, the carb is brand new and clean, no debris, etc.
I am stumped. I have tried squirting the starter fluid into the air filter and it doesn't turn over, it only turns over when squirting directly into the intake manifold. But I inspected the air filter and everything and its clean.
Perhaps I should drill start it instead; I've been pull starting it since...

Is the fuel gravity feed to the carb or pulsed from a fuel pump mounted on an adapter plate ? Share some pics of your setup .. If your pulsing the pump from the valve cover , it needs to have the gasket in place , and you need to prime fuel to the carb .

It would be difficult to make it anything other than fuel delivery if it runs when you spray into the carb.
Double/triple check everything involved with your carb.

*I have Spark
*The governor and oil sensor are removed.
*Compression tests (done cold) yield 60psi.
*I adjusted the valve leash to spec 8/1000 exhaust 6/1000 intake.
*The valve cover does not have a gasket on it, but I don't see how that would prevent it from starting.
The ENGINE BRIEFLY RUNS OF A SQUIRT OF STARTER FLUID, then dies, as expected.
Thus, u guys would probably say its a fuel problem? However, the carb is brand new and clean, no debris, etc.
I am stumped. I have tried squirting the starter fluid into the air filter and it doesn't turn over, it only turns over when squirting directly into the intake manifold. But I inspected the air filter and everything and its clean.
Perhaps I should drill start it instead; I've been pull starting it since...
same thing with me, it was the jet, take it out spray carb cleaner thru it and shoot some air from an air compressor, hold it up if you can see light thru it ur good, if not soak it in carb cleaner for 20 min and air it out again.

usually no start carb problem on my stuff is the low speed jet. Pop it out poke it a couple times try again. We had an ebay carb the fuel shut off was backwards from what is normal, might double check like kart 43 mentioned

Sometimes I wonder about post like this. Is it possible some juvenile out there starts them just to see how long he can keep them going, after a while they lose interest and never follow up? How many times can Johnny cry Wolf?

Back