Brand new to dirt oval racing

th3stormy

I am brand new to dirt oval racing I drove my go kart twice on pavement but never on dirt. I have it all built and everything I am just wondering if anyone can give me some techniques for karting on dirt. all advice and tips are very much appreciated

Go to dirt races, preferably where you plan to race and spectate for a few. Or take your kart to the track and ask to start in the back of some races.
You can ask on here for specific track/tire/gear/chassis/setup help. Get your kart on some scales and ask for some numbers. Get it dialed in before you even load up to go to a track.
Seat time is irreplaceable help when it comes to being successful in racing.
Always look a half a track ahead of you, and be prepared for the unexpected, like a crash.

Two best ways to turn on any race track, I have always been told, is to diamond the corner, or square it off. Diamond is going in low, half way through youre high between the corners, and coming out you would be low. Diamond is good for slide jobs if youre track allows Squaring is going in high, low between the corners and drifting up high coming out. Hope that makes sense.
Have fun be safe. Id rather look crazy asking a question, then crazy out on the track lol

Go to dirt races, preferably where you plan to race and spectate for a few. Or take your kart to the track and ask to start in the back of some races.
You can ask on here for specific track/tire/gear/chassis/setup help. Get your kart on some scales and ask for some numbers. Get it dialed in before you even load up to go to a track.
Seat time is irreplaceable help when it comes to being successful in racing.
Always look a half a track ahead of you, and be prepared for the unexpected, like a crash.

Two best ways to turn on any race track, I have always been told, is to diamond the corner, or square it off. Diamond is going in low, half way through youre high between the corners, and coming out you would be low. Diamond is good for slide jobs if youre track allows Squaring is going in high, low between the corners and drifting up high coming out. Hope that makes sense.
Have fun be safe. Id rather look crazy asking a question, then crazy out on the track lol
Thanks for the info

Hey everyone i came 2nd in my qaulifyers and 5th in my heat race also slid er like a late model around a turn and almost hit a tire luckily i saved it and hammered down almost the hole time LET ER EAT

Hey everyone i came 2nd in my qaulifyers and 5th in my heat race also slid er like a late model around a turn and almost hit a tire luckily i saved it and hammered down almost the hole time LET ER EAT
that was my first rtime ever on a dirt track in a go kart btw

Looks like you had fun, good for you. Karting in general looks more organized and complicated than it really is, mainly because the the only karting you read about is national level stuff. Local Saturday night racing really is the most fun and always has folks in the same boat as you- beginners. Guys who race within their means and wont buy a ton of tires etc to win $100. Most don't worry too much about having the best or being precise. They do what they know and have a blast with it. You may or may not take the leap into having or being the best. Time will tell. We have been both routes and have done pretty decent both ways without going bankrupt doing it and honestly we prefer to race on the local level. Keep at it and good luck.

Back