Brand New, won’t start Predator 212 6.5 HP

Mstrbts

So I swapped the old predator engine on the go kart with a brand new predator 212.

The engine started right up and we ran it about an hour and a half yesterday. Today it started up, was driven down the short driveway and turned onto the street... died. Never to start again.

Here is what I’ve done:
- checked ignition switch
- plugged/unplugged oil sensor
- placed in choke and run
- verified the spark plug is getting spark
- verified the spark plug is not wet
- no oil in airbox/filter
- ensures it’s getting fuel
- drained fuel
- checked carb float and pin
- jets are clear of any debris
- replaced fuel with new fuel and Stabil

I may have missed something but I don’t know what else it could be. I’m very frustrated because I’m not mechanically inclined and is why I bought the new engine versus trying to fix the old. Cost was another factor.

I really appreciate any guidance and help in advance.

Hold finger in hole , pull string . (Poboy method ) should not be able to hold it .
Using a compression gauge is most accurate

The spark plug hole but if you pull it over with the plug in and feel resistance it's got enough compression to start. Could be a sheared flywheel key but probably clogged carb as was said above.

You got a can of ether/starting fluid ?
You checked the idle jet ?
You change the plug take the one out the old engine .
Your next option is learn the mechanicals . Pull valve cover and see if valves are going up and down .

You will have compression with the valves shut and no pushrods working the valves. Without the valves inhaling and exhaling it won’t fire. Pull the valve cover make sure it’s working like it should be.

I got one out of the box last year and the intake rocker was not on the push rod. I put it on, adjusted it and it fired right up.

I appreciate all the support and advice. I ended up returning it after and swapped it again. This ran 5 seconds and seized up. I can’t pull the started at all. I quit. I’m just going to return it and look elsewhere. 2 for 2 bad. Can’t imagine this is normal.

No thats not normal . Third times a charm .
Put oil in start let run , stop let cool , start run longer , let cool , one more time . Off you go .
Put oil in first . Change after third time .

Last edited:
Back