Break oil

I use Blendzall castor (mixed 10 oz / gal) and run a few heat cycles.
Normally I don’t have to worry about mosquitoes after that 😁

No need for break in oil. Run your usual. Run it on the stand at 2-3K in 3 five minute intervals. Hop on after engine is warmed up and run half-3/4 speed for a few laps. Ring should be set by then. Make sure you’re on the rich side with the carb.

B&S, Lawn-Boy and others make good oils for 2s break in. On out KT's we mixed normal 16:1 and ran on stand at 2k. Keep your ear listening and when it jumps in rpm it's done. Sometimes 4-5 minutes other times 9-10.

I've used 8oz of marvel mystery oil to 1 gallon of non-alcohol 87 octane pump gas to break in 2 cycle engines, running it through 2-3 heat cycles with increased rpms for about 5 min each with no issues...

Homelte chainsaw oil or any two stroke mineral oil will lubricate less. Not sure why you would want that. I think Walmart sells Pennzoil 2 stroke.

break in oil is not necessary for a 2 stroke engine that used for high performance use,In 50 years of kart racing have NEVER used it,I have my method and has worked very well for many years, but use what you want.

I find it interesting that anybody still thinks there should even be a break-in oil. I always used the same oil that I raced with.
I guess it's one of those habit things.... the first time you don't go through your usual routine....and you have an unexpected engine issue...you will beat yourself silly until the day you die wondering what it was that possessed you to break routine....🤣

There is a reason to use a different oil to break in a 2 stroke engiine. I am sure each one has their own opinion because even the best builders disagree on this topic, but the purpose of a good racing oil is to protect your engine and reduce wear out and heat, wich obvioulsly doesn't do a good job to break in the cylinder wall properly and remove those peaks after honing. A normal oil would break in those peaks more since it wears out the cylinder walls to a greater extent IMO. On the contrary it ight not be good to use a different oil than what you are gonna use for racing unless you are able to completely rmove any rest of that different oil used to break in your engine, which is difficult to remove completely. Both options have pros and cons.

With gasoline and methanol both being a type of solvent . I do not feel switching the oil would have any undesirable consequences .
Any non synthetic oil should suffice .

With gasoline and methanol both being a type of solvent . I do not feel switching the oil would have any undesirable consequences .
Any non synthetic oil should suffice .
Well in fact most oils are someway blends, but not all of them mixed well and gas/methanol do not always removes the oil. Obviously you do not want to leave any rest of methanol on an engine after breaking it in if you do use methanol, but even after using gasoline when you do not use the engine for a long period it is easy to find rests of oil or mixed gummed inside.

Last edited:
Back