Breath easy!

Any chance I can get one of you slickers to reveal your thoughts on blueprinting an air filter? I have a few I bought used and they are by any means "as cast" so to speak. Also something not often talked about is the crank case breather, and while I'm thinking about it lightening front side of the cam. Thanks ahead.

You could also swiss chesse the cam then no lathe required .
Theres quite a difference in the weight when the front has been turned .

The sharp corner in the carb entrance can be rounded off some .
Add some jb weld at the back welch plug to slope that area .
Fab a straight entrance with filter after knocking out the welch plug .
Reduce the valve stem diameter that is in the port .

I think if you drill the cam it would make more oil drag. Probably best to face off both sides to leave a center web but, how thin do you dare go.

So I have been thinking (rather hard) actually. What would happen if one was to vent the case pressure to the header with auto fuel line or something and strategically placed the tip of the line somewhere in the center of the ID of the header? My thoughts are it would be about like the e tube on a clone, suction (sorry Al) would make a vacuum under the piston and give the desired results on the rings a few of you were talking about. Does this hold water? or am I treeing slick?

Tried on a 500hp iron head 350 in the late model.
Used a smog pump to pull crankcase vacuum. Achieved about 20 inches mg vacuum at full load and rpm.
Was good for 7 hp, even after driving the pump.
Intention was to use lower ring tension, for more gain, but was outlawed for the next season

Ymmv

Yes, a one way valve is necessary, as well as a way to separate oil from air.(unless you have a skeeter problem)
Not sure how much vacuum you will be able to make with that setup.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if it would create more oil loss connected to the header? Because if not I should be ok as far as separating it because at this point my puke tank stays dry. No matter how hard I run it. Only time I did have an issue is because I was burning rc fuel and it was jetted to big I recon. My crank case was full to the top of oil and fuel. I was a bit concerned but it never phased it

Back