briggs 11hp flathead safe rpm

flat tap 21

Hello, fellow karters and engine builders. I'm new here and need some help with a Briggs model 25 flathead. I converted it to run horizontal with the oil mods but I dont know what carb to use bc Briggs intake bolt holes distance aren't a standard on the model 25. I thought about going with a https://www.amazon.com/ZXTDR-Carburetor-Intake-Manifold-Adjuster/dp/B07TJH16YL?th=1 and a 150cc Carburetor GY6 26mm W/ Air Filter Intake Fuel Kit For Roketa Gokart( ebay link was to long. So if that would work how could I limit the rpm so it doesn't blow up and what's a safe rpm for it. If I have to buy a flywheel, ill just get a 212 Tillotson or a 420cc clone.

well, if you plan on taking it past 4500rpms id say you definitely need a new billet flywheel. Ask around, however. lots of people have flywheels just laying around that they will sell you for cheap. if you want to limit the rpms, either get lower # valve springs or just adjust the governor assembly, if you have a tach this shouldn't be too hard a task.

Ok. So will stock springs work and also the governor is removed. I was also thinking about limiting the gas pedal so it can't go WOT but if I do that will it hurt performance?

Well, wot will give you all the speed and power you can get out of an engine. So yes, technically it will hurt performance. If I were you, I would definitely get billet. Valve springs will limit performance in terms of rpms because they limit how fast valves can slam shut.

Back