Briggs 206 Red Slide Margay K2

Kurt8070

I have a question regarding the 206 with a red slide for Margay K2 cart. This is a Rookie series kart (Age 8-11) and I am very new to this but and we currently use black clutch springs and are running 64T to 66T sprokets on a .5 mile road circuit. Based on the info I have come across here is it correct to say that we would want the clutch engagement to occur at a lower RPM given the red slide? Along similar lines it would strike me that 57T or 59T would provide the most balanced approach between off the line speed/Top End Speed. Am I looking at this the wrong way? It seems as though the black springs and 65T+ would be more useful on the black slide where there is more torque and HP at the higher RPM range.

I am brand new to this and I am trying to get the best setup for a 10 y/o driver. He is currently fast in the corners and sitting duck on the straights. I am trying to find the right setup but I keep getting a lot of conflicting info, any advice is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt

That seems reasonable .
The gear change will improve straight away speed .
Recovery from an error will be slower .
Spring change could help , typically you change one thing at a time .

You want to lock the clutch at peak torque rpm. If your rpm only slightly dips below that rpm you might consider setting it lower and just keeping it locked all around the track. When you put on more gear you'll be slower in the turns so, adjust the chassis for more over steer.

Clutch springs are for setting engagement near peak torque. Gear ratio is for finding a balance of acceleration and top speed while keeping the engine within the usable power band. Speaking about only rear sprockets leads me to believe you don’t have much understanding of ratios. The better approach is to observe your maximum rpm at the end of the straightaway. Red slide should be around 54-5800 depending on the specific track.

Don't chase your tail too long...ask some other dad at the track what gear to run. I'm sure they'll get you in the ballpark. Same with the clutch setup. Your Son needs track time more then anything else. Get the engine and chassis combo close with some advise from fellow competitors and let your Son work on driving.

Back