Briggs 5HP Cylinder Head Mods

What can a person do to, or have someone do to, the FH 5hp Cylinder Heads? Gathering Parts, and gonna build a couple-3 Engines. Not super high performance but, will have a Cam, etc.

Thanks.

Really not much aside from finding or milling it to a smaller chamber head. You can go to far and kill flow tho so baby steps . If your running a hi lift cam the valve pockets will need cut.

What can a person do to, or have someone do to, the FH 5hp Cylinder Heads? Gathering Parts, and gonna build a couple-3 Engines. Not super high performance but, will have a Cam, etc.

Thanks.
In the late 90's i welded and shaped a head to copy the Edelbrock / Blockzilla design for my stock appearing .
Can't say how much of an improvement it was since the track i raced at was shared with cars and motorcycles on the same night most of the time so my lap times were all over the place but it was stronger so says my butt.

:)

1head.jpg

topblock.jpg

Cut the eyebrows down to the depth of the top of the valve seats into the cylinder as long as you don't go so deep in the cylinder to expose the compression ring. Use a head gasket as a template when cutting the eyebrows. Cut the cylinder head to a point that it is flat above the cylinder (angle cut to leave as much above the valves as possible). Deck the block to zero (no pop-up), with a stock head gasket you will have plenty quench. Anything you can do to improve the flow helps. Your ports do not need to be finely polished, a little rough promotes fuel atomization. -- Chuck

Back