Briggs Flathead "cast cores"

cmac

By pure chance I was reading a recent post wanting a Dyno 94ss camshaft. Curiously, I got on Dyno's website to look this cam up and saw a message from Dyno stating as of July 2019 they no longer have any "cast cores" because they are no longer made. By this description, I assume Dyno means "cam blanks", which is what I always knew them by. Anyway, somewhere in my shop I have a box of brand new Briggs OEM cam blanks (perhaps as many as a dozen) which have never been ground and are full dimensional lobes--again they have never been touched by any cam grinder, Briggs or otherwise. Any idea if this is what Dyno means by "cast cores" and, if so, what are they worth? Thanks, CMac

Dyno would know . Nothing too me till there ground . Maybe ten bucks apeice . So camshafts are going to be the next unavailable part .
Right there with chrome pistons .

I looked as well they will grind on your core . Must meet there critria , as too quality . So the n.o.s stuff is definatly going vintage .
Billet cams no problem the way it looked .

Machine it to add some stroke and accept a 7/8 journal rod. I believe the cost would out way the value of the crank tho and you would find it cheaper to buy a new better quality ARC

Last edited:
They are referring to the cast blanks that the factory sold to them (prior to factory grinding.)
I still have one here on the shelf.
If you have brand new take-outs, they will still grind them, but as said above, no rust, etc - they must be in perfect condition.

As the vintage classes are picking up (and some dirt oval stuff is picking up flatheads again) it's a shame to have limited resources to cams now too. Thankfully, we are still sitting on a good selection of new cams to choose from.
We will be the last man standing with flathead parts.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back