Briggs Flathead History Lessons

Lately I have noticed the Flathead section has been rather stagnant unfortunately. So in an attempt to breath some life into it i figured we could do a weekly Tech Type Q and A or something. Possibly a retype of all the lost threads pre server crash. Idk

Since it has been stagnant. Here's a good question. Why did most tracks do away with running the loop pipe? They sound better than the curved pipe
2AM features.

They also sounded a heck of a lot racier than the current herd of lawnmowers.

Some tracks must have muffler rules (some states as well: Michigan & Cali) so that makes it easier for racers to just leave the pipe and muffler on when going from one track to another.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I understand noise issues and complaints etc. If that's what it takes to keep tracks open i'm all for it. but i don't get every one uses a muffler EXCEPT for the opens and limiteds who make more noise than everyone else. I remember being fence side at Dumplin Valley when limiteds ran a 16" strait pipe and thinking it was painful when they flew buy.

download.jpg

All I know is it's hard to beat the sound of a healthy flathead with a Robertson loop pipe bolted to it. ;)
When we raced my stroker flatty against blockzillas and animals, I put a loop pipe with a trumpet end on so I could hear what my motor was doing.
Had a distinct sound you could pick out in a crowd.

I understand noise issues and complaints etc. If that's what it takes to keep tracks open i'm all for it. but i don't get every one uses a muffler EXCEPT for the opens and limiteds who make more noise than everyone else. I remember being fence side at Dumplin Valley when limiteds ran a 16" strait pipe and thinking it was painful when they flew buy.
Because in the stock classes @ Dumplin (or any big momentum oval) you were concerned about drafting and knowing where the car behind you was...It's hard to hear with that loop sitting at your right shoulder. THAT's one reason why you run a muffler on big momentum ovals.
Another is that the muffler pipes help power at higher rpm, while the loops help at lower rpm. After the drop of the green at Dumplin, you were never at lower rpm again. :) Loop pipes work best on tight ovals where you drop 1000+ rpm in the corners. Muffler pipes work better on momentum tracks (although both can be tuned to work on either with some extra time and effort spent on the dyno.)

Speaking of trumpet pipes. Robertson claims their flared end pipes create more power. Other than 10 extra doll hairs and a sharp looking pipe has anyone seen the gains from the flare?
It depends more on the ID and length of the pipe it is used on.
If a pipe was created for a muffler, then it was built with a 5-6" extension in mind. Removing the muffler and replacing it with a flare generally hurts the overall power and moves the powerband up in rpm.

Because in the stock classes @ Dumplin (or any big momentum oval) you were concerned about drafting and knowing where the car behind you was...It's hard to hear with that loop sitting at your right shoulder. THAT's one reason why you run a muffler on big momentum ovals.
Another is that the muffler pipes help power at higher rpm, while the loops help at lower rpm. After the drop of the green at Dumplin, you were never at lower rpm again. :) Loop pipes work best on tight ovals where you drop 1000+ rpm in the corners. Muffler pipes work better on momentum tracks (although both can be tuned to work on either with some extra time and effort spent on the dyno.)
you could do the same thing with a reverse cone megaphone and do away with the muffler. that's not the point i was trying to make. nobodys going to want a local track when they are blaring open pipe limiteds and RWYB at 2:00 in the morning. I like the noise as much as the next guy but mufflers were not in the rulebooks because they helped the performance

^ Agreed, but I would suspect that the majority of complaints from neighbors of tracks are about the trucks and trailers leaving the track and stomping on the throttle (diesel guys especially like to do this) after a long and "eventful" night.

Back