Briggs Funpower Motor

leoofc

I had a chance to buy a 5hp Briggs funpower motor at a swap meet yesterday. This motor had a reversing gear on it. What is the best way to eliminate the reversing shaft? New cam? New sidecover? Maybe hacksaw off? I didn't buy it but I was wondering for next time.

I had a chance to buy a 5hp Briggs funpower motor at a swap meet yesterday. This motor had a reversing gear on it. What is the best way to eliminate the reversing shaft? New cam? New sidecover? Maybe hacksaw off? I didn't buy it but I was wondering for next time.
I’d swap it. You can probably sell the extended cam and matching side cover on eBay to someone that needs it on a tiller.

You can cut the end of the cam off (reverser extension) and run as is, or you can replace the cam with a standard length cam and seal the hole in the sidecover with a freeze plug or threaded insert.
Also make sure the engine has a ball bearing on the crank at the sidecover if you're going to use this for any higher rpm than the standard 3600. The bushing sidecovers don't oil well enough at higher rpm.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Hey I just pulled apart an old minibike that wouldn't start and it had the reversing gear that somebody cut off. But the big find, at least I thought so, was the carb on it was, I believe, a fun power carb. Does not have the step in it close to the port and it looks prettY big. Does anybody have info on these things? Am I living in a cave that I haven't seen one?
I've heard of members on here chatting about them but this is the first I've seen one and I must have at least 10 or 12 poor model 13's kicking around....

Then yes fun power carb.
Gotta get out of the cave more 😁
I’ve got a lot of stuff to do and I ignored everything and did this….

Attachments

• 79FC864E-C3DE-48BA-BEC9-579B6C07BC8D.jpeg
    79FC864E-C3DE-48BA-BEC9-579B6C07BC8D.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 36
This has never happened before?

Once you let your focus drop, to preferred project, over what should be done, there is no going back.

Welcome to my world!
I have a bunch of Kool bores I havta get running. My work bench is covered in tanks and heads and carbs and not one thing is put together. So I get another project and get absolutely. Nothing. Done. :cry:

Truckphone, what is your intended use for this engine?
That is a bushing sidecover, which will limit your use to low rpm applications.
Nice fix on the extended cam boss though...I welch or freeze plug would have been quicker/easier but your fix just looks cooler.
Way too many projects -- that's my problem as well...so many customer projects that my own never see the light of day. :)

Truckphone, what is your intended use for this engine?
That is a bushing sidecover, which will limit your use to low rpm applications.
Nice fix on the extended cam boss though...I welch or freeze plug would have been quicker/easier but your fix just looks cooler.
Way too many projects -- that's my problem as well...so many customer projects that my own never see the light of day. :)
This is for a friends minibike, won’t see many RPM’s. funny how the OP had seen a funpower engine with the reverser at a swapmeet and the next day I get one dropped in my lap. Thank you Mr. Carlson and others for the advice on plugging the hole, now I can change the cam and tune it up, get it out the door.

Back