Briggs & Stratton reduces entry fee for second LO 206 class to $25 at The Rock!!

Briggs & Stratton and Rock Island Grand Prix
announce $25 entry fee for second LO 206 race

ROCK ISLAND, ILL. -- The Rock Island Grand Prix, the world's largest karting street race, and Briggs & Stratton Motorsports have announced an exciting incentive program for drivers participating in the Briggs Local Option 206 classes at Rock Island this Labor Day weekend, August 30-31.

In an effort to respond to competitor’s requests for more track time, the Rock Island Grand Prix, presented by AT&T, has organized its racing program to provide for double the track time and double the chances to win for most competitors. In the case of the Briggs & Stratton LO 206, this means offering a Medium, Heavy and Masters race.

Briggs & Stratton Motorsports is pitching in to encourage their racers to take advantage of the format by offering a discount to competitors who sign up for two LO 206 classes. For the first 30 drivers entering, if a racer signs up for two classes, Briggs & Stratton will underwrite $100 of the $125 entry fee on the second LO 206 class. The first 30 racers will be able to race two classes for just $25 more than one class. Drivers will compete for the coveted Rock trophy, $500 to win and payouts through nine places if the classes have more than 20 entries.

Drivers who enter after the first 30 will pay the standard $125 entry fee for both classes. Entries already submitted for more than one LO 206 class will automatically receive the savings on the second class.

The LO 206 sealed engine is purpose-built exclusively for racing, each built by hand right in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and backed by a factory written rule set. It is quickly becoming popular because of its reasonable cost, durability, superior manufacturing quality and the fact that it levels the playing field and puts the emphasis on the driver.

“The Rock Island Grand Prix is one of the premier karting events in the country and it should be on everyone’s calendar to experience,” stated David Klaus, director, Briggs & Stratton Racing. “We are excited to once again help support our racers and continue our long standing commitment with the RIGP.”
“Our event and Briggs & Stratton have a long history of working together to promote each other and 4-cycle sprint kart racing,” said Roger Ruthhart, president of the Rock Island Grand Prix. “The programs Briggs & Stratton has offered have always been committed to giving back to the Briggs racer and encourage them to take on The Rock. We hope that all LO 206 competitors will seize the challenge to race two or more classes this year, benefiting from more practice time and more chances to win. We expect these to be our biggest classes.”

“For those who enjoy racing this class at their local track, this offers a great opportunity to participate in one premier national event while enjoying the festival atmosphere that Rock Island has to offer,” Ruthhart added.

Throughout Briggs & Stratton's century-long history, it has been involved with racing in one form or another. This involvement began almost as soon as the first engine came off the assembly line in 1919. The company's relationship with racing not only helped lay the foundation for many professional American racers, but it helped establish a reputation of reliability and dependability for its engines.

In the early 1980s Briggs & Stratton's engines entered the world of sanctioned kart racing on a national level. The company formally entered the world of racing in 1991 with the introduction of its Racing Division.

Great news, Roger. This, along with the more fitting weights this year, should draw more people to run multiple classes.

It's already in the rules for this year. They did a survey asking opinions. I voted fully open. I hope entries increase as this has always been a great event and maybe I will come back the following year. The continuous rule changes that target specific people just killed my motivation again. Nice to see briggs helping out once again btw!

Last edited:
Yes there is a 5-inch tire rule. It was based on two reasons that have nothing to do with targeting anyone. First we were told that because some manufacturers were no longer making 6 inch tires they might be in short supply by September. We thought if this was true, it would provide an unfair advantage to those who had them over those who could not get them. These are tough decisions when you have to make them in January. Secondly, many of the tracks and series in the Midwest already have a 5-inch tire rule and we had racers complaining that to be competitive they had to buy wheels/tires for just our one race. We have always supported moves to keep the cost of racing low. These changes were made in that spirit and the spirit of keeping the competition even. Gary, you could probably win on a Big Wheel -- you're that good a racer.

It's not going to effect me as I plan to do just the vintage event and not drive my 4-cycle sprint, but I'm thinking not having 6-inch tires is going to hurt the 4-cycle classes Roger. I really don't see where the shortage would have came from. Just my opinion, that it may really hurt the kart count and certainly will effect whether you get LTOs attempting to race with the one right turn as we that run LTOs run 6-inchers.

The good news is that talking with many of the vintage guys at the vintage events in the midwest, especially at some of the VKA events, I think you will have a real good turn out as many are saying that they wish to try this event, weather dependent of course.

I do see your point on needing to have tremendous foresight when making decisions regarding tires. Unfortunately the whole lack of 6" choices has not come to fruition. Hoosier makes multiple compounds and sizes for sprint, vega still has two compounds available, Dunlop , maxxis. Basically only firestone is out of the sprint market although the popular vega yellow is no longer produced. Lastly, for every complaint about having to go out and buy 6" wheels you would have the same complaint on the flipside. Im sure the oval people feel they have to go buy new karts now.

My viewpoint is every serious racer is going to have a new set of tires regardless of what rim they use. So essentially all they need to buy is a set of wheels for 140$. Compared to the expenses it takes to race an event like this $140 is insignificant. The rules are the same for everyone and always have been. What happened to the days of if you got beat you did some testing or simply bought whatever beat you? These same racers that need babied will be the first to leave anyway. Every significant rule implemented in the last 8 years or so has directly affected what I will call the "classic street racer" which I would consider myself. With everyone on 5" now why dont you approach mg or Bridgestone about providing financial support and just make the highest bidder the spec tire?

Thanks Gary. Points well name. As for Vintage karts, we;re happy to have them but there are currently none registered... better start signing up or you won't have a class.

I'm not running mind you, but if I were, I'd be running a combo of 5" tires that wouldn't be legal at any track that's mandating the use of 5" tires in the Midwest. The same combo that worked to good effect years ago when Gold Cup had open sizes with 5" tires.

So assuming physics haven't changed and what I have in mind is still a fast setup, you'd still have people complaining that they have to buy more wheels and tires to compete.

Roger,

I assume you are bluffing, but I hope you are not. If you really are almost full on this offer (only a few spots left), then this means you have about 60 entries across the 3 classes. That is pretty good news. I hope it keeps going! I would love to see 30-40+ in all 3 classes!!

Good luck,
Derek

Gary,

Maybe I am, but I thought Briggs was paying part of the second entry for the first 30 people. 30 people paying their own 1st entry plus Briggs paying part of their second entry gives me 60 total entries (from 30 people). I am not great at math, but either way, I hope these classes really are filling up.

outlawing a large part the the active karts, seems to be very short sited.... most of our 4 cycle karts in SIRA are six inch packages .... you have told our guys we are not welcome, which is fine we will run 10 street races this season with many more communities asking to be added to our schedule in the near future.... SIRA will always welcome everyone one no matter what size or brand of tire they choose.... bruce budreau sira vp

outlawing a large part the the active karts, seems to be very short sited.... most of our 4 cycle karts in SIRA are six inch packages .... you have told our guys we are not welcome, which is fine we will run 10 street races this season with many more communities asking to be added to our schedule in the near future.... SIRA will always welcome everyone one no matter what size or brand of tire they choose.... bruce budreau sira vp

Hopefully some consideration for Mooresville.

I don't have the exact numbers but I do know that the Briggs 206 and Yamaha can classes are our largest classes. In 206 we had some who entered Medium and Heavy and some who entered Heavy and Masters. There are more than 50 entered in the three 206 classes, but a couple of spots still left if you want to enter

Back