Broken Block Cooling Fins?

Kyle48

So I purchased a very used flathead with plans of rebuilding it and having as a backup engine. When I tore it apart, I noticed a large piece of the top cooling fin was almost broken through. The piece is hanging on by a thread. The split runs about 1/8" from one of the head bolts. I basically got this engine for peanuts so I am not heartbroken if it comes up as a loss, but is this engine block still usable?

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe WKA rules said something along the lines of "no welding from the cooling fins upwards" but it looks like it could easily be held on by a bit of JB Weld as it does not seem to be a high stress area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Allot of good blocks around. If you're going to put allot of money into it I'd get something else. If you just want to slap together a junker to save your weekend then go for it.

Allot of good blocks around. If you're going to put allot of money into it I'd get something else. If you just want to slap together a junker to save your weekend then go for it.

Thanks, I was trying to keep this one simple. New rings and rod bearings were all I had planned for this one.

Back