Broken tabs on the cover to prevent grease\oils from entering the Hilliard Flame

Kartiac Arrest

Comer 51 Engine Victim
I have a Hilliard Flame clutch and per the new rules I must run the cover to block grease or oil from entering the clutch drum. The problem is the tab is constantly breaking off leaving the cover spinning freely within the clutch drum. I went through two of them this last weekend. I know others have had the same problems. Why is this part mandatory? I was told to put the broken cover back in (There wasn't a retailer that had them in stock at the race I was at) and that all it would do is perhaps make some noise. If it is making noise then there is additional friction or heat being produced.

Unlike in two stroke motors I lube my chain once in the morning and do not reapply unless there is an absolute reason to. Any foreign substance in the clutch drum would not be beneficial. Why make us run something that breaks causing metal to float around the clutch? Once I go through 3 covers I then have to accept noise\heat\friction from what seems like a unnecessary part?

We just installed a new Hilliard Flame with Bully conversion last weekend. You are supposed to add a .040 washer between the grease cover and the bearing race that the drum bearing rides on. This is supposed to give you extra room so the grease cover does not touch the drum and shear the key. Ran the clutch last weekend and when I pulled it apart yesterday, the grease cover was like new.

Last edited:
Run it without the tab, it doesn't effect anything. It just spins in there, no big deal.
Don't waste your money replacing them.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

If anyone needs grease traps for their Hilliards, give us a call -- We've got plenty of them - and cheap.
I'm definitely not a big fan of this rule, but until it gets repealed/updated, we've got to live with it.
The extra washer definitely makes the grease trap live longer than running without it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back