BSP plug wire?

Jeff

Can someone tell me what the rules are on the plug wire and boot. That plastic boot seems to get broke and jumps spark to the head. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the wire and boot are to remain stock clone. Fairly cheap, just buy a new clone coil / plug boot combo if your having trouble with yours... I've never had a plastic boot break and not sure how they would unless something hits them...

I'm pretty sure the wire and boot are to remain stock clone. Fairly cheap, just buy a new clone coil / plug boot combo if your having trouble with yours... I've never had a plastic boot break and not sure how they would unless something hits them...

X2 the plastic boot is suppose to be on it to be legal, they are cheap and just screw off of the wire. hope this helps.

Thanks. Guys. I have a coil off a old blue max and it has a rubber boot didn't no if it would fail me in tech or not. Probly better just buy another plastic one then. Thanks again.

Can someone tell me what the rules are on the plug wire and boot. That plastic boot seems to get broke and jumps spark to the head. Thanks

The problem with the factory plug wire boot is that there is a resistor in the boot, at least in the older clone engines. The problem is when you use these with aftermarket flywheels that have the much stronger rare earth magnets, it would burn the coil up. I went through 3 coils until I figured it out, I removed the factory plug boot and installed a standard auto plug end problem solved. Maybe the newer engines don't have these resistors , I don't know. But that has been my experiance. Maybe some of the clone engine gurus could chime in on this subject.

Fortunate son you might have something there. I've burnt up 5 coils in 3 months. Had them tested said they are junk. Told me the earth magnet is so strong it's burning them up. That's another reason I was asking if we could use a regular automobile type boot and wire. Or at least the boot. I had a buddy look at his rule book and said stock coil. But nothin about wire and boot. But wanted to see what top inspectors had to say.

Fortunate son you might have something there. I've burnt up 5 coils in 3 months. Had them tested said they are junk. Told me the earth magnet is so strong it's burning them up. That's another reason I was asking if we could use a regular automobile type boot and wire. Or at least the boot. I had a buddy look at his rule book and said stock coil. But nothin about wire and boot. But wanted to see what top inspectors had to say.
That is exactly the problem. That resistor is not letting the coil to full discharge it's energy and as result the coil get hot and burns out. My advice to you is if you are new to clone engine or just a saturday night racer is go to the track track you will be racing at. Ask rules that they use, not everyone follows AKRA to the tee. Some tracks have their own version and the plug wire fix may OK. It seems since the crash of the old Forum and the lost of over 10 years of information, alot of people are tight lipped about this info. The reason? Decide for yourself. I may be wrong? With 234 views and only 6 replies you would think someone would have an idea.

Reach inside the plug boot with a screwdriver unscrew the plug connector a resistor and spring will fall out, get a brass wood screw with the same size shank as the resitor is round, cut to length reassemble.

Reach inside the plug boot with a screwdriver unscrew the plug connector a resistor and spring will fall out, get a brass wood screw with the same size shank as the resitor is round, cut to length reassemble.

Not all of them are made that way. In my case if you want to remove the resistor you would have destroy the plug end.

AHHHHH yes the old restior and rare earth magnet game been their:mad:
I posted about this 3 years ago on the old bobs.I had it were the motor
would miss and all kinds of stuff.put stock fly wheel back on and run
just fine.even had Tom from arc on the phone and he sent me another
flywheel and same thing.was pulling my hair out as to why.
then I pulled the resistor out and ran just fine.

The problem with the factory plug wire boot is that there is a resistor in the boot, at least in the older clone engines. The problem is when you use these with aftermarket flywheels that have the much stronger rare earth magnets, it would burn the coil up. I went through 3 coils until I figured it out, I removed the factory plug boot and installed a standard auto plug end problem solved. Maybe the newer engines don't have these resistors , I don't know. But that has been my experiance. Maybe some of the clone engine gurus could chime in on this subject.

So instead of .030 gap min, can you run a much tigher air gap between rare earth magnet and coil if you swap out the factor plug boot with a standard auto plug end?

Back