bsp rookie

metalmagic

Ok im building one for my son,give me some go fast tips so he can atleast be competative.....im more than qualified and have access to a machine shop....mainly looking for carb tips but im open to anything productive

Your first 2 posts are 44 minutes apart, it seems everyone is not at your beck and call as you assume. You may want to provide more information rules, restrictor etc.

I like a guy who is enthusiastic. Just be patient. Although many may eat, drink, and sleep kart racing, most do have day jobs. Just a guess that 15 of those 16 were people just like you who are looking for 'go fast tips'.

The carb, engine, and chassis set up are all equally (more or less) important. If you are only figuring one of these (carb) is the secret to success, you'll be disappointed.

Not too sure how much change to the rules there will be for jr2 clone in addition to what is already being proposed for the bsp (stock) class. You may want to hold off doing any work on the engine till these are finalized. That's what I'm waiting for.

On the issue of 'go fast tips', beginning with the engine, are crankshaft end play, cam profile, stroke, piston-to-wall clearance, ring tension/end gap, bore size/roundness/straightness, rod-to-crank clearance, combustion chamber size/compression ratio, valve and seat set up, leakdown testing, spring tension/height, timing, coil gap.... ETC...

These are just a few of the things I look at, adjust, and correct... Does this kinda make the carb less important than you thought?

We are here to help... well, most of us anyway...

Mike

Yeah this all makes sense because it's all friction related.... Do most guys tend to build loose motors or tight? I know on my open motor I always build to tight clearances because of the rpm I want to turn but this is only about a 6500 motor so that's y i ask..... There has to be secrets to the carb or there wouldn't be rules lol.... I have a guy helping me with my setup and tires so I got that taken care of lol thanks for all the help!

x3, was impressed with dyno results, wasnt seeing much with what I was trying, didnt expect to see what it did for the plated clone :)

I've got a HM carb for a purple plate you can try out if your interested. I wouldn't buy anything just yet. Wait till the rules are finalized. Of all the carbs I have, Dover, ARC, and untouched factory, none of them meet the proposed .715 min rule.

The rule of thumb in racing is 'loose is fast', but that's too vague to be of any help. You want to look to see what clearances people are running, then make your best judgment call. However, many of the clearances/tolerances are dictated in the rules.

"There has to be secrets to the carb or there wouldn't be rules" - Yes and no. These Chinese engines vary in tolerances so much that rules were created to make the playing field more competitive (so I'm told). There's rules on parts inside of the engine and there's rules on chassis'. I'm just learning about carbs and, so far, have not found much that could be considered 'secret'... change the jets, max the venture is a good start. You can always pay someone for a carb and learn nothing or buy a few carbs and hopefully learn something for yourself. However, DIY don't have access to a flow bench or dyno to test out the carbs they 'design'.

Welcome to kart racing, by the way!!

Mike

I've got a HM carb for a purple plate you can try out if your interested. I wouldn't buy anything just yet. Wait till the rules are finalized. Of all the carbs I have, Dover, ARC, and untouched factory, none of them meet the proposed .715 min rule.

y dont they meet the min if they are stock? makes no sence lol

Some parts are all over the place, mass produced as cheap as possible. Never assume just because a part came on a motor from the factory it will meet spec. Got to measure them. When the rules are set, Dover, ARC, etc... Will meet the rules with the parts they sell. The rule on the depth of the bore of the carb on the engine side will be new for next year. The carbs I have are good this year.

Anyways, if you want to try that carb, your more than welcomed to. You can bring your engine over, we'll put it on the dyno as is. Switch the carbs and see if it helps. If you like it, it's yours to keep no charge.

Lol I have to get a bsp engine first, I'm just doing my homework.... Now if u want to see if we can top that dyno out I'll bring my 390 up for some tuning if u want to play lol

It'll handle up to 90 hp once I get my new pressure sensor. You're on then. Neighbors will love it! Lol

Back