Budget minded engine for Ohio All Stars?

Kyracer7r

I am trying to find the best engine to build for the Ohio All Stars series, not the UAS. Rules are as follow:

2 stroke
160cc max.
Rotary/Reed - 230 pounds + 1 pound per 1cc.
Piston Port - 200 pounds + 1 pound per cc.
1 cyclinder, No water cooled 2 cycles or mx engines, no exceptions.

4 Stroke
440cc max.
Flathead - 190 pounds + 1 pound per 3cc.
Overhead Valve push rod - 200 pounds + 1 pound per 2.5cc.
1 Cylinder, No MX engines or water cooled 4 stroke, no exceptions.

I am leaning toward a KT100 in 2 stroke or a gx390 in 4 stroke, just due to the affordability of both. Does anyone have any ideas. If cost was not a factor it would be easy. I'm trying to keep the cost below a grand for the engine. Thanks for any help.

How much do you weigh and how big of a budget is the question?
If you can't get down for the small cc engine weight break then I would build the bigger engine I'm a 4stroke guy so I would not fool with a 2 stroke but it's really up to you I don't see any one engine running away with anything around Ohio with these rules it will be all about tires and who is willing to buy and keep their kart on newer tires.. Keep in mind that this is Ohio and the tracks we have around here do not have alot of grip verses tracks in other areas of the US so the light weight 2cycle may not work well with out really being on your game with chassie and rubber. JMO

Jawa, you convinced me. I am a big'ol boy. Looks like the 4 stroke will be my way to go then. My engine budget is roughly a grand, I could go a smidge higher but not much.

Jawa, you convinced me. I am a big'ol boy. Looks like the 4 stroke will be my way to go then. My engine budget is roughly a grand, I could go a smidge higher but not much.

If you want any suggestions about what to get for a 390 pm me I have built a few good runners.

What part of Ohio is this series running?
The OVUAS is running around the Cincinnati area
$1000 you need a mx engine and you cannot use them in that series except the races that matter to the UAS
Does not make sense to me

Check out the engine Joe Warning has been running
He finished 7th nationally
Thing runs Awsome
Bill Westerfeld built it
Westerfeld Enterprise 513-367-2826
It would fit your rules
Not sure about cost

Check out the engine Joe Warning has been running
He finished 7th nationally
Thing runs Awsome
Bill Westerfeld built it
Westerfeld Enterprise 513-367-2826
It would fit your rules
Not sure about cost

i know what the westerfeld 305's cost and i must say for the price they are worth their weight in gold.

Jerry is very correct on the 2 cycle on Ohio dirt comment. It can be difficult and finicky, but if it is hooked and tuned properly, they are hard to beat. just takes alot of time and experience in this area. I would go with the 390, or 305.

Back