Builder Prices

Ones I build range from 550 to 750. My 550 motor is blue printed build dyno tuned and out the door. My 750 is hand picked every thing. Lot more time on dyno to make sure its the best I can give you. My 550 one is for the average Saturday night racer and will last all season. My 750 is for Big money races were every bit is going to count But your only going to get 4-5 races and its going to start to lose power. You can build for fast or to last just depends on what you plan to do with it.

What people dont under stand is what it takes to build a high end motor. We may go threw 4 block 3 cranks 3 carbs 6 heads and the list goes on. Just to find that one that is better. Like cranks one maybe max stroke but out of round. Next might be in round but short stroke. You just go threw till you find exactly what you want. So lot of times this is why the big names charge more because this is how they are building and why it takes so long to do.

^^Exactly.

Ones I build range from 550 to 750. My 550 motor is blue printed build dyno tuned and out the door. My 750 is hand picked every thing. Lot more time on dyno to make sure its the best I can give you. My 550 one is for the average Saturday night racer and will last all season. My 750 is for Big money races were every bit is going to count But your only going to get 4-5 races and its going to start to lose power. You can build for fast or to last just depends on what you plan to do with it.

What people dont under stand is what it takes to build a high end motor. We may go threw 4 block 3 cranks 3 carbs 6 heads and the list goes on. Just to find that one that is better. Like cranks one maybe max stroke but out of round. Next might be in round but short stroke. You just go threw till you find exactly what you want. So lot of times this is why the big names charge more because this is how they are building and why it takes so long to do.
Why should racers pay more because you have sub par parts?
Also my guess isnt that you destroy the sub-par parts but they end up in your low price engines.
Also shouldnt all the parts be tested early on so you know what parts are the best and the garbage?

Also my guess isnt that you destroy the sub-par parts but they end up in your low price engines.
Also shouldnt all the parts be tested early on so you know what parts are the best and the garbage?

Who is gonna cover the cost of buying 20 of each to find the best? Say you do it, and buy 20 of each part to find the best, and build the best engine possible out of the parts. Then when the price is higher than one set of all the parts cost, people are upset. Anyone can take whatever parts come with the engine and put them together, but why would anyone take the time to find the best, test it, and not make any money at it. Might as well go flip burgers then.

Picking parts is an art form and there are very few substandard parts out there. A crank that is not right for one engine may be perfect in another. I had a carb that was just junk so I put on the shelf in the dyno room and it sat there for months. One day I had an engine that just would not run, tried several carbs with no difference. On a whim I tried the junk carb and that engine jumped, one of the best I had. So just because a part is bad in one engine it can be pure gold in another. Because of all the variations in casting and parts you really have to work to find the perfect combination. We often have 10 to 12 hours of work in an engine, I have torn them back down and started over 5 or 6 times looking for a few extra tenths. When we order parts we get 100 or more of each part, cranks, heads and blocks by the case. To find that perfect combination that it takes to build a killer clone you need a real big inventory of parts.

just say you have a 108 with a depth of .288 between valves and your .017 in the hole. either case one or the other or both need to be cut. I would think you would cut the head .015 and the deck .005 to .007. worries me getting the piston too close to the deck because of the risk of crank flex at high rpm.

Who is gonna cover the cost of buying 20 of each to find the best? Say you do it, and buy 20 of each part to find the best, and build the best engine possible out of the parts. Then when the price is higher than one set of all the parts cost, people are upset. Anyone can take whatever parts come with the engine and put them together, but why would anyone take the time to find the best, test it, and not make any money at it. Might as well go flip burgers then.

why buy 20 each when distributors offer hand picked parts
http://boxstockproject.com/cart/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179
Doesnt that say Guaranteed? so if I was buying parts and I got that much junk from a dealer, I would find another

All I am gonna say is, if it's that easy..just do it yourself then. If I cant make any money doing it, I will just do something else. I have bills to pay, the same as everyone else.

I have to agree with Mr Young. I build my own but not to sell and I realize how much time is involved in prepping, checking tweaking and assembling. you can't just throw parts at them and expect a miracle. Takes time and Time is money. Nobody wants to work for nothing in return. I do this as a hobby not a living but even at that its time consuming.

I have to agree with Mr Young. I build my own but not to sell and I realize how much time is involved in prepping, checking tweaking and assembling. you can't just throw parts at them and expect a miracle. Takes time and Time is money. Nobody wants to work for nothing in return. I do this as a hobby not a living but even at that its time consuming.

Thank you. I hope I don't come across as rude, but building a good engine takes time. I have built (with friends help) a dyno, and done a pile of testing. I want to make sure that a customers engine is the best it can legally be when it leaves. I have ran a few big name builders engines just to have numbers that I know I have to be competitive with.

All I am gonna say is, if it's that easy..just do it yourself then. If I cant make any money doing it, I will just do something else. I have bills to pay, the same as everyone else.

What did you do before you built engines, oh and I do build my own or did at one time, 30 years of working in the masonry trade I have had my hands on the inside plenty of engines mostly honda's

Didn't think you were rude at all, can't blame anybody for defending themselves. Being a good builder is like being a good chassi man. a lot of thought, trial and error and knowledge along with time. I learn on every build as what effects other areas. I like the challenge.

What did you do before you built engines, oh and I do build my own or did at one time, 30 years of working in the masonry trade I have had my hands on the inside plenty of engines mostly honda's

Gary builds and built car engines before the ole go kart ended up at his house.. He grew up around it,, his dad is also still at it fultime

First problem. Is mass produced Chinese motor. With 500 diff molds. Some parts never make it in a motor. I just trashed a crank that was out of round and way short on stroke. That not going in any motor I build. Blocks some the line up of the cylinder is a little straighter than others. I dont think Ive ever cked 2 rods that were the same. Some are longer some shorter than average. Some the pin and crank journals are little off. Ive trashed a few rods.

My 550 motor is simply this an average motor. It will run with the guys on Saturday night at your local track and last longer. You could go buy one from a suppler Clearance it dyno tune it and have the same thing.
My 750 motor is better than average. Hand picked everything. BEST OF THE BEST. It has more clearance built into it and right on the line every part of it. Its built for the max but its not going to last long. Your simply paying for my extra time to build. I also dont recommend this motor to just an average weekend racer. But if your going to a race were you know that 99% of the field is going to be dead on set up and tire. That is were this motor is going to come in.

Fact on my team karts they run the 550 motor locally and win. When we go to a big show they have one hand picked to run per kart. Simply because the above average part are hard to come by.

Didn't think you were rude at all, can't blame anybody for defending themselves. Being a good builder is like being a good chassi man. a lot of thought, trial and error and knowledge along with time. I learn on every build as what effects other areas. I like the challenge.

And this is why I build the motors and set karts up. I suck at tires. Thats why I have a tire guy and driver. Its also not my full time job. Like you I enjoy the challenge.

why buy 20 each when distributors offer hand picked parts
http://boxstockproject.com/cart/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179
Doesnt that say Guaranteed? so if I was buying parts and I got that much junk from a dealer, I would find another

Ok Dealers sale hand picked part. At a higher price than the average parts. Note that the dealer also builds motors. Dont you think the best of the best is in there motors. Yeah The distributor does not sale hand picked parts. They sale us a 100 cranks at a time. We then go threw and pick the best. Thats why when we sale a hand picked part it cost more. We spent the time picking them.

Ok Dealers sale hand picked part. At a higher price than the average parts. Note that the dealer also builds motors. Dont you think the best of the best is in there motors. Yeah The distributor does not sale hand picked parts. They sale us a 100 cranks at a time. We then go threw and pick the best. Thats why when we sale a hand picked part it cost more. We spent the time picking them.

Yup his dyno tuned BSP is 450.00 why is yours so high?

Back