Builder Prices

All I am gonna say is, if it's that easy..just do it yourself then. If I cant make any money doing it, I will just do something else. I have bills to pay, the same as everyone else.
I 'm an electrician by trade.I 've been around karting since the mid 70's.If I may ,I'd like to say that in my industry there is also a huge difference in quality /durability /longevity and etc....I've experienced many times when the price is lower than mine from a competitor.Often times their overhead is even greater than what I have.Some of the big box stores sell identical appearing items but there is a difference.I've built plenty of karting engines over the years,and it's not easy( virtually impossible) to find the right combination with out spending time and money. If this was easy everyone would be in the business.Just because it works --that doesn't mean it's right--

cheap parts, cheap motors, expensive parts, expensive motors....what gives here? what your really talking about isn't the cost of the parts....the majority of engine builders will gladly share with you exactly what they paid (and the cost passed on to you) of exactly what you have in your motor. where the expense is, is in the time taken to assemble and duno the motor as you, the customer, wants. it's no secret that each engine builder has thier own little ways and means of doing things that they ahve done for years. like putting socks on, some do it the left foot first, some the right, but int he end, everyone is wearing two socks. you want the motor assembled a special way, then your gonna pay for it. you want it according the the rules at your track, according the what is currently allowed at a national event, in a way that isn't breaking the rules (but might border on illegal, depending on the tech)....then your gonna pay for it. no engine builder is going to give you a motor or sink $500 in parts into it and then charge you $400....it just ain't gonna happen.

too many are wanting something for nothing....me? i like to pick everyones brains on what can and can't be done with a motor and then go out and try it. so far, people like dynodon, sneakers, tim (tim isky!), jerry dover....they are more than willing to share with you....but when you ask them to build your motors, don't get on here talking about how bad the prices are or that you feel you were overcharged. you want quality work, then you are going to pay for it! you want half-baked work? then don't ask these guys to do half a job and expect it to be anything other than half a job.

i ask (even the dumbest question!), i learn and then i try it....it don't work? i ask again and explain what i did and what the result was. haven't met anyone on bob's yet that won't try and help...but again, you want the best, then you're gonna get charged the best.

jsut my thoughts!!

Why should racers pay more because you have sub par parts?
Also my guess isnt that you destroy the sub-par parts but they end up in your low price engines.
Also shouldnt all the parts be tested early on so you know what parts are the best and the garbage?

He has alrdy 'explaned' his price reasoning....hasn't he?

He has alrdy 'explaned' his price reasoning....hasn't he?

No not really, he justified it to himself
Some builders charge more for perception, if they sell cheaper than other builders the racers will think he has inferior engines
See Triton 54's post for proof

Karting engines have always been built with hand picked parts because the parts start as castings.

Some engine builders have spent years perfecting there craft.

If you want to WIN every time your at the track I suggest finding a builder that you like working with and let there knowlege work for you. If you are happy racing with the guys in the middle of the pack I suggest building your own. You "can" do well with your own home built engines and even win a few races, that was the idea of the BSP.
You need to know what your goals are.

If I go to any race anywhere it will more than likely be on renegade engine by Bennie. Or maybe a Jody pierce performance..I'm not sponsored by either of them and I pay full price. But I do know they take their time and their is a lot of high quality power in them. I can speak for Bennie "renegade" when he says he takes 10-12 hours and he make take them and rework them 12 times before he will ship it out..high prices don't make money..quality= quantity and that makes money

I don't care what any builder charges for motors. What aggravates me is if I am willing to pay for the best a engine builder offers than I expect to have the same as the racers they sponsor. Most keep there best for who they sponsor.

If you do nothing else,the time spent just making sure what you have is within specs takes a lot of time.When you add in the time and testing to get power it takes more time.I am retired and my time is valuable to me.I am not promoting anyone just stating the facts.My engines take about ten to fifteen hours to get everything in specs and up to power. PS I don't sell engines for a living.

since the clone came out many guys are calling themselves builders

I agree with this quote totally & some that say they a builder have been all over Bobs here asking if this works, does this & that help, what part should I use & every other question you can think of & get the answers from some very good true builders that do post on here & then when they ASSEMBLE the engines with all the info they have got from other true builders & it pulls good #'S they consider their self a builder to & start selling motors. I don't know how they consider their self a builder when all they done was get the parts & do what some other builders told them & just ASSEMBLED it. A true engine builder is one that ask no questions, spends his money, stays on the dyno & figures it out on his own from the word go. JMO

ain't nuttin wrong with charging for your work and your time....see not a thing wrong with that...and if you go through 20 motors to get the absolutely best for a high end and top dollar motor, then isn't that what the customer paying for? the customer expects the best. and those parts that you feel aren't the absolute best? if I was buying a Saturday night engine and you put a part in it that wasn't the absolute best? then I still win because that part might not be the best, but it might be better than the one that's in the motor now!

ain't nuttin wrong with charging for your work and your time....see not a thing wrong with that...and if you go through 20 motors to get the absolutely best for a high end and top dollar motor, then isn't that what the customer paying for? the customer expects the best. and those parts that you feel aren't the absolute best? if I was buying a Saturday night engine and you put a part in it that wasn't the absolute best? then I still win because that part might not be the best, but it might be better than the one that's in the motor now!

Couldn't agree more but people want the best for nothing these days. One long time member here that past away several years back, said it best. SPEED COST MONEY, HOW FAST YA WANNA GO!! I'm sure many here remember this fellas motto..

Back