building a dyno

na2slow2

What, or where is everyone finding a flywheel for a inertia dyno. I have looked all over the internet, that's the only thing that would hold me up on building one. Thanks

look for a steel fab shop in your area, we took our local shop the info for the flywheel and they made it for 300.00

What size did y'all go with, 24" x 1". How many horsepower is it good up to. I thought that I read somewhere people using flywheels off of heavy equipment. I was thinking of maybe brake rotors a couple big ones they are balanced. Not to many metal fab shops in my area, actually none that I can think of in our town. Thanks

mine is 24/1,
24 /1 would work a bit small though.
30 /1 would be much better.
diameter has more to do with the ability to handle hp than the thickness.
smaller dia means faster rpm and or more time for a given hp.( my belief I'm no engineer).

I'm thinking the gear ratio would have a lot to do with it, am I wrong? What about balancing?

Question; what do you measure to get your torque readings and HP calculations.

Yes I have read the site many times, I have no local machine shop where I live now. Also thinking about higher horsepower in the future so I might have to go bigger on the flywheel. I like the performance trends system that will more then likely be what I use. Just seeing if someone found an alternative to having a metal fab shop something that is available. I will try to find a good machinist when I get home. Al. They use gearing to keep max rpm of the wheel down to around 2k. I had a website that gave gearing and everything at one time. Thanks everybody.*

Al. They use gearing to keep max rpm of the wheel down to around 2k. I had a website that gave gearing and everything at one time. Thanks everybody.*
4 – 1 gearing would give you 1750 wheel RPM at 7000 engine rpm. If you have Excel (or a clone) I can send you a spreadsheet you can use to find the gear ratio you want.

My dyno has a flywheel that is 24" x 4.5" weighs 536lbs. I drive it with a 26/112 that's a 4:31 with a belt drive. Even turning 9,000 rpm on the engine my wheel does not exceed 2200 rpm. The flywheel it's self is made from two diesel engine flywheels mated together on a center hub with a 1.5" axle.

Do you happen to know what the flywheels were off of? I had been thinking of going that route but wasn't sure of which engines had large enough flywheels.

my dyno uses a flywheel off a crane... 2" wide and 20" in dia. worked great for Fheads and limiteds

we did have to fab up an axle to mate the flywheel... ran a 4:1 gear ratio on it.

Back