Building a flathead

2l racing

I have got a stock 5 HP B&S flathead engine that I am looking to build into a race engine with a blue restrictor plate for my sons go kart and was wanting to know who some reliable and not over expensive engine builders were out there. We are located in Nebraska but would look into anyone who is reliable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Should be some one local who could do it.
Unfortunatly having a stock engine in hand is not going to reduce your price much, though it could.
Finding one for sale where you race would be a good option.
uncle franks in omaha and spaniel outta lincoln are top notch.
decent used engines for sale around 350.00

Ditto what flattop said. To do a complete blueprint on a flathead can get rather costly. You could purchase a used engine on here that has come from a reputable builder (so you know the machinework was done correctly to begin with) then have it rebuilt at a fraction of the cost to blueprint a new engine.

I have purchased some nice engines on here from guys that are getting rid of their flathead stuff, turned around and freshened them for customers that wanted to save a bundle over purchasing brand new. The result is a good used engine that is completely fresh from your engine builder. From that starting point, you can build a relationship with that builder and continue to have him rebuild the engine at regular maintenance intervals as needed. Take the example above -- $350 for a used engine, add another $300 to have it freshened and you've got a fresh race-ready engine for less than the price of new by far. You're happy you saved money, and your new engine builder/friend is happy because he has a new customer. There would be some shipping involved for us to do the work for you, but don't let that intimidate you. We ship engine coast to coast via FedEx on a daily basis.

If there's anything that we can help you with, please feel free to call on us.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Great advice from Brian!
I have picked up several quality flatheads for a 100.00 a piece lately.
I cant believe I used to get 1100.00 to build these and now they are being given away.

Back