Building a tire resurfacer

Justin51

I am building a tire resurfacer and have a question on if this axle will work alright? I have 1" pillow blocks because they were the cheapest and readily available.

http://www.bmikarts.com/Axle-Shaft--1-x-39-38_p_518.html

Also don't know the interest but I can post a build progress on here for those of you who want ideas? I have came across a lot of helpful people on here and would like to pay back to the karting community if there's interest.

Thanks

I built one this winter an that is the one I used. I would order an 1 in axle nut which with a large washer will allow you to hold the rim assembly with one nut vs three.
Jim

I built one this winter an that is the one I used. I would order an 1 in axle nut which with a large washer will allow you to hold the rim assembly with one nut vs three.
Jim

Alright what RPM motor did you obtain and what size pulley's did you get?

Just find you a 1/4hp motor, 2" pulley for the motor and 6" or 8" pulley for the axle, belt drive. The local Ace hardware stores here have the motor for $25 and pulley's for about $8 each. I like for mine to spin a little more rpm so i can make quick passes with the belt sander and not spend all day resurfacing tires. Makes it quick and easy

Has anyone tried to do a adapter from the motor shaft directly to the wheel hub and eliminate the pulleys ?...or is that too many rpm?

Just find you a 1/4hp motor, 2" pulley for the motor and 6" or 8" pulley for the axle, belt drive. The local Ace hardware stores here have the motor for $25 and pulley's for about $8 each. I like for mine to spin a little more rpm so i can make quick passes with the belt sander and not spend all day resurfacing tires. Makes it quick and easy

Where do you get pulley for $8????

A little update here I have the stand I bought from Harbor Freight all set up. I located a 2" pulley for on my electric motor locally. But am having a hard time finding a 9-10" pulley with 1" shaft for on the axle locally. I found a few online but there over $30, where are people finding them for $20 or under IDK. I will be ordering my axle sometime this week and head to a local metal place to get a 1/2-3/4" thick piece of aluminum for the top of the stand. Any help on the pulley would be greatly appreciated. After I get more assembled I will post build pictures.

Thanks

Send me a no and I will text you a photo of the 1 I built from a harbor freight stand I put the motor in bottom and axle on top stand is a lot more steady not top heavy

Tire machine

Heres one I built out of and old battery load tester stand. Used a SBC crank pulley, swamp cooler motor, stuff laying around. Works great.
===========================================

Back