Building Predator #69730

jacobsdad

A few weeks ago my son made an inspection window in the block of his clone. Well, this Sunday we have a race that came up at the last minute. I don't have another clone to run, and time and money are too short to get one by Sunday. I do however have a predator still in the box, part number 69730. I believe that is the non hemi, but I dont know. I do not know much about the predator engines, this one was in a friends garage. He gave it to me a couple of months ago to run as a backup engine, but I have never opened it as we run clone classes.
Anyway, this weekend the track we are going to has an open class. I am thinking of sticking this clone on his kart so he can turn some laps. What can I or should I do to this engine to get it ready to race? I have an air filter that will fit on it and an exhaust pipe that I can make work. All other parts I have are clone specific. Again time and money wont allow us to get any parts ordered.
Also if I use an open air filter and an open exhaust pipe what should I do with the carb? I have a Holey Moses carb from a clone. I cant read the jet size but looking at the predator jet and the holey moses jet I can visibly see the holey moses jet is much larger than the predator jet.
What should I do to get this predator ready to race?

.38 High jet / .19 idle jet , what track ? Is there any track rules for Predators ? Do you have to run a plate > Is it a Harbor Freight Predator ? If you are just on a weenie pipe , use a .31 High jet .

He would be running adult open. The only rule is it has to be a 4 cycle. I will run the only pipe I have, it us almost identical to the ones we run on the clones for adult clone NKA rules but we will pull the muffler off. He will be out powered in that class, but it is a small enough track power isn’t a huge factor. He has raced the open class on similar tracks racing against all outlaw engines and stayed with the top 4. It will just be for a fun weekend getaway, not too concerned about winning or losing.
I wasn’t sure what I should do to get it ready or if it is even possible to get it ready in one day.
I will have to have someone with better eyes look at the jet sizes. I swear the main jet said 78, but as I age I rely on others to read fine print.
Also, someone else told me to run the BSP 4 cam that I had for a clone. I’m guessing this won’t work? Or will it?
Oh and yes it is Harbor Freight engine.

Leave the muffler on. If the holy Moses was running good on the clone I would just bolt it on. Clone cams will not fit a non Hemi..clone flywheel will fit

Well it looks like snow moving in, so we won’t be running that kart. I will put the engine back on the shelf for now. Might spend the winter building it right for the open outlaw classes.

I ran the Isky Black Mamba on my similar build and loved it. Ran it in the 7200 rpm range and it never strained to get there.

Back