Building your tire inventory.

I'm a new Kart Dad, my son will have his 4th race Saturday, red plate. All races have been Wet Track, Outback Speedway in SC. We're going to Cross Anchor this weekend.

I bought two sets of tires, Donnie Nall prepped one for wet (40-45), and one intermediate (55) on the Duro.

First, you guys showing up with 10 sets of tires, did you drop $2500 st the beginning of the year? Are you buying used sets, or just building your inventory over time?

If it's open tire are you bringing Maxxis and Vega in the same Duro#?

I'm just trying to figure out how to range this stuff. I want my kid to have the best stuff, but changing things for the sake of changing doesn't do him any good unless I know the right changes.

Too many tires isn't good if you don't know what to do with them .
Having maxixis and vegas could be ok .
Some can buy all at once , most build inventory over time .
Cycle in a new set or two for a special race or big show .
Especially if your using goat on them .

We ran used tires for the first year. If you can afford new buy new. Bought a new set to start second year and immediately was faster, got another set not long after that. I think if you are at a open tire track it will likely be yellow vegas or maxxis. I don't know your track but a good way to start would be a soft, med, hard in yellow vegas. 30, 40, 50. I believe from reading that if it requires harder than that you should be on a maxxis

When you see a racer with a boatload of tires , they will more than likely have sets cut differently , such as thin , or different profiles and different staggers as well as certain preps used . These are the racers that probably travel a lot to different races , and big money races . Some have tire deals , most have a sponsor to help out . If your racing at just 1 or 2 tracks getting your feet wet , find a tire guy that knows those tracks , and can point you in the right direction , and get some tires that works to get you going . Once you start learning setups , what tires and when this or that works , then you can get more aggressive . JMO of course .The main thing is to have fun !

10 sets, all different ranges in cure time (time being rolled ), to possible different amount of internal if running multiple classes. All could be bought at once or may be spread out. Im a Maxxis dealer in Woodruff and some of the top names in the sport get a set of tires every week to 2 weeks when tires are available to keep in a "rotation".
As for open tire tracks, you keep the Vegas for wet tracks and the Maxxis for when track dries out.
Ill be at Cross Anchor this weekend myself, any questions please just ask.

How many weekends do you guys get out of a new set of Burris tires using prep and scuffing. I'm starting out this year in a no prep class just learning but have noticed guys don't really like to talk about tires.

How many weekends do you guys get out of a new set of Burris tires using prep and scuffing. I'm starting out this year in a no prep class just learning but have noticed guys don't really like to talk about tires.
This is why it's important to have many sets, cycling through tires on race day keeps abuse off just 1 or 2 sets so they last longer, 2 seasons in our Burris, unless desperate measures are needed

I am in my first year also. Bought two sets of semi junk tires just to get on track. I tried to buy new but no Burris available anywhere. Was terrible thru the turns. Someone approached me one night talking about tires. He turned out to be a tire guy. He found me another set or two.. What an education he has given me. Listen to the these guys. This forum has been a great tool to also learn about tires.

I've built my tire stash through a few years. Usually buy Good used stuff from a local guy till my local tracks closed down. This year, while trying a few other tracks, I purchased a few new sets thru Carlson Motorsports, best decision Ive made... I got 20 sets on rims that I can use, not as many as big teams but I do good with what I have..

I've built my tire stash through a few years. Usually buy Good used stuff from a local guy till my local tracks closed down. This year, while trying a few other tracks, I purchased a few new sets thru Carlson Motorsports, best decision Ive made... I got 20 sets on rims that I can use, not as many as big teams but I do good with what I have..
20 sets????? is there really 20 different track conditions? no wonder there is a wheel shortage lol

What's the best way to know if a tire has life left in it? I know they have the holes in them but I haven't seen a new set of tires to gauge it. And what is the going price for some good used tires on wheels?

What's the best way to know if a tire has life left in it? I know they have the holes in them but I haven't seen a new set of tires to gauge it. And what is the going price for some good used tires on wheels?
Burris can have life with the cords showing in certain situations.
As long as the wear holes are still visible they have plenty of life left

Tires are like an addiction...You never have enough.
If you only ever run one or two tracks, you won't need nearly the same tire inventory as you will when you travel.
As an example: most midwest tracks don't bite up enough to ever require thin flat cut Burris. But if you ever attend a big Burris money race on a track that bites up hard, you will have to be on Burris punching 60+ that are cut flat and about corded.
If your local track is prepared the same each week, then you pretty much know what to expect for available grip, lap times changing, etc. Consistent track prep (and preceding weather) and consistent car counts make tire choices considerably easier.

As far as wear...that will depend on the brand of tire, the level of competitiveness you choose, the HP & weight of your kart, and how abrasive the track is.
You could choose to run an uncut, unprepped, full rubber tire such as Burris or Hoosier for several years but never be real competitive against the guys that are on (the right) cut tires and prep. Again, choice of speed vs cost.
Thin rubber tires obviously start out life with less rubber. Maxxis is around .050-.060" tread depth. A new Burris is around .110." Obviously cutting these two brands of tires is approached very differently.
I've had personal sets of Burris that were 10 years old and VERY competitive when the application called for them.
Then again, I've been to Maxxis races where we wore the shoulders off the tires each time we hit the track.
Big HP karts are obviously harder on tires than stock classes. In addition, heavier weight classes are harder on tires as well. A 265# Jr1 kart won't abuse tires like a 430# Jawa.
I've seen Maxxis run competitively 20 races or more on midwest black organic dirt tracks, while the guys in the south may have to flip them during the race night if the track gets abrasive and/or fast. Even without much wear, couple nights on Maxxis and all the roll speed is gone on red clay higher biting momentum tracks. Little bullrings that never bite up obviously won't abuse those same tires as much.

Then consider that we refinish tires from week to week. You will remove more rubber from your tires by sanding them then by racing them.
Having more tires in your aresenal is always a good thing. Knowing which 4 to put on your kart at the right time is the real challenge.

No matter how quickly you are going through tires, you will always want more...
Addiction with no Betty Ford, AA, or 10 Step Program to save you.

Kind of an in-depth answer that may have been more than you were looking for, but hopefully it helps. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Tires are like an addiction...You never have enough.
If you only ever run one or two tracks, you won't need nearly the same tire inventory as you will when you travel.
As an example: most midwest tracks don't bite up enough to ever require thin flat cut Burris. But if you ever attend a big Burris money race on a track that bites up hard, you will have to be on Burris punching 60+ that are cut flat and about corded.
If your local track is prepared the same each week, then you pretty much know what to expect for available grip, lap times changing, etc. Consistent track prep (and preceding weather) and consistent car counts make tire choices considerably easier.

As far as wear...that will depend on the brand of tire, the level of competitiveness you choose, the HP & weight of your kart, and how abrasive the track is.
You could choose to run an uncut, unprepped, full rubber tire such as Burris or Hoosier for several years but never be real competitive against the guys that are on (the right) cut tires and prep. Again, choice of speed vs cost.
Thin rubber tires obviously start out life with less rubber. Maxxis is around .050-.060" tread depth. A new Burris is around .110." Obviously cutting these two brands of tires is approached very differently.
I've had personal sets of Burris that were 10 years old and VERY competitive when the application called for them.
Then again, I've been to Maxxis races where we wore the shoulders off the tires each time we hit the track.
Big HP karts are obviously harder on tires than stock classes. In addition, heavier weight classes are harder on tires as well. A 265# Jr1 kart won't abuse tires like a 430# Jawa.
I've seen Maxxis run competitively 20 races or more on midwest black organic dirt tracks, while the guys in the south may have to flip them during the race night if the track gets abrasive and/or fast. Even without much wear, couple nights on Maxxis and all the roll speed is gone on red clay higher biting momentum tracks. Little bullrings that never bite up obviously won't abuse those same tires as much.

Then consider that we refinish tires from week to week. You will remove more rubber from your tires by sanding them then by racing them.
Having more tires in your aresenal is always a good thing. Knowing which 4 to put on your kart at the right time is the real challenge.

No matter how quickly you are going through tires, you will always want more...
Addiction with no Betty Ford, AA, or 10 Step Program to save you.

Kind of an in-depth answer that may have been more than you were looking for, but hopefully it helps. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir

20 sets????? is there really 20 different track conditions? no wonder there is a wheel shortage lol
Shoot I know of just 2 guys right off the bat that has Twice what I got in tires. One has 30 some sets and the other close to right at 70 sets. Seems far fetched but like Myself I have 7 karts in my Little shop. I only have 20, these other fellas also have 7 karts and will run all 7 in different classes in a night Not me. Our TEAM May run 3 karts a night tops. Hence needing multiple tire options.
Wait until Engines become the Addiction. Got 12 of Them.. I Like options..

Chances are that same guy with 20 sets has also sold off at least half that many rims to keep newer stuff.
Nope, I also run a Backyard League. So I dont sell my rims and such. Anyone that knows and races with me knows Ill Give them a part B4 asking a $$$ for it. Rotate tires And Wheels for the Backyard stuff from my racing Stash.. I know there is a shortage on rims also.

Shoot I know of just 2 guys right off the bat that has Twice what I got in tires. One has 30 some sets and the other close to right at 70 sets. Seems far fetched but like Myself I have 7 karts in my Little shop. I only have 20, these other fellas also have 7 karts and will run all 7 in different classes in a night Not me. Our TEAM May run 3 karts a night tops. Hence needing multiple tire options.
Wait until Engines become the Addiction. Got 12 of Them.. I Like options..
Oh boy, at one time i had 11 engines. My mentor told me 11 was ok but 12 was too many.
I only have five now. Kind of feels like I'm naked in public.

Back