Built mini bike clutch

Codyb852

I've got a really wild Tillotson 224 that I'm putting on a mini bike. It has everything you can imagine. Roller rockers, stainless valves, ported and milled head, forged Wiseco piston, Black mamba Jr cam and also a Black Mamba Sr cam. Cant decide which to use. 11.5 compression and so on. It's taken me a year to gather all the parts.
My question is what clutch will hold a highly modified engine like this? I want to use this bike for cruising backroads and my brother is putting one together as well for some Friday night cruising!
I've been looking at the Hilliard Blaze, flame and, fire clutches. Will these do the trick? Which one would have more longevity. It looks like the fire doesn't have as much friction shoe material but has a fiber shoe. I really don't know what to go with. Someone recommended a Noram stinger. I don't mind to spend the extra money, but is it worth it?
Another question is at what rpm do I want it to engage? Seems like low rpm would be better for stop and go. It will probably be geared at 5 :1 or 6: 1. I'm only looking for 50mph or so.
Thanks in advance for any feedback. I've really done a lot of research with everything but I'm a bit stumped on the clutch. I know most of these clutches were made for kart racing engines so I want to go directly to the experts!

A 2 disc will be fine as well as any upper end drum clutch. The problem I ran into with the minibike I had was clearance to run the driver inboard which is the preferred method of mounting. Engagement should be at the engines peak torque point. Seems like mine was around 3800.

Clutch engage should be at peak torque of your engine.
If this is going to be for "cruising" as you said, with stop and go, uphill, wheelies, etc, I'd steer away from a centrifugal clutch altogether.
Consider a torque converter that will adjust your gear ratio to better fit your riding application.

Hilliard Flame with the Bully conversion drum is a good option for drum clutches and would allow you ease of changing gear ratios for different riding scenarios. Otherwise, it's hard to beat an old Noram GE series clutch for durability.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I was wondering about mounting inboard. Do I need some sort of spacer or what does it require to get it mounted correctly? I really am leaning towards the flame. I'm not big on torque converters. Never could keep belts on them and they feel a little soggy compared to a centrifugal.
The racing disk type clutches I thought were for racing. Will they handle lots of stop and go driving? Which would fit better positioned inboard?
Thanks guys

They work .
I have seen some places they weren't allowed . Which says a lot.
I would not be afraid of one .

Thanks guys. So is it the available shoes that would not last on the dragon skin? I see talk about black shoes for harder lock up but cannot find them anywhere. Will probably go Hilliard Fury and see how it holds up. It's very reasonably priced.
Now, Is a 6.8 gear ratio too aggressive on that clutch? I'm only looking for 45 to 50 mph. Could I run an even lower ratio?

Back