Buller Aero

I have come up with a Buller Aero kart. It has the adjustable spindle on the right side. I have seen pictures of these karts with the adjustable spindle on the left. What side is it suppose to be on? Dennis

He is saying neither.
Fact is a driver needs to drive. If he has to fiddle with a jacking screw all race, he's lucky not to get lapped by the field.

they came from buller on the right front. it was a good tool if you knew what you were doing. what year is the aero, do you plan on racing it?

Do not know the year. The master cylinder mount in front of spindles. I have seen aero karts with the more familiar set up with master cylinder back closer to seat. Does that tell anyone what time period? Rebuilding the kart and putting open animal I have on it.

plate on top of the lower steering shaft mount tubes, there should be 5 numbers stamped. post those & i can tell you the year.

hum....when you said it had the on track adjustable spindle, i assumed this was an aero lt, which is an older straight rail that motor can be mounted on either side or both sides via a movable motor mount/s, the spindles are also movable in or out through a tube. the aero lt had the plate with numbers stamped on it, the newer aero, 2010-12, is an lto offset that does not. if it's a buller offset with the aero lt type front end and spindles, it's an early demon, the adjustable spindle was an option on these as well. if you want to email me or post pics, i'll try to help. my email is in my profile.

It is in pieces now. It is an aero with both motor mounts. The bid difference with this one from others I have seen is that the pedals are mounted in the center with the master cylinder ahead of the spindles.

perfect time for pics if the chassis is bare. it would be one of the later ones, late 90's, as you describe it and if i remember right buller changed the way they serial numbered them and their location. look on the master cylinder mount and/or the bearing hangers. does it happen to have the third bearing hanger on the right inside frame rail?

been a long time....but i believe '98 or '99 was the last major production year, seems to me there was a few special orders after that though. i think '99 was the 1st year for the demon and they had the aero lt front spindle type design with camber adjustments on an offset chassis. '97 may have been the one off for the 3 bearing deal. typically when they were numbering their karts, the 1st and last numbers were the year and the middle numbers were the production, talking to ralph many years ago he told me that in the later years they started putting the model year first 2 and production after that. so looking at your numbers i gonna say yours is a '98-9th one made, cause i don't think they produced 80 karts in '99. again i could be wrong, but it's a '98 or '99 either way. these karts were designed for the wet/tacky conditions of their era, thin wall tubing and very flexy, when tracks began to get harder/drier the offset design was more suitable and that may be your biggest obstacle getting this one to perform for you. they were a pretty dominated kart in 2 cycle racing back in the day. i've always regretted selling my last one and have been looking for a good one to restore for the collection. if you ever run across another let me know. good luck.

Therein lies one of the obstacles i mentioned above, obviously everything revolves around track conditions. I ran 2 cycles (on the left side) and we ran both, depending on conditions. Sometimes started on treads and switched to slicks at some point in the show, or ran either all night as the track dictated. Then you have the element of tire size selection. Back then on both treads and slicks, we ran an 800 on the right rear, 710 on the left, and anywhere from 450’s on both fronts to maybe a 600 on the right front. I have no experience on how the kart reacts to slicks of today’s norm, 800’s right and 600, 450 left. I will say this, if conditions are in favor of treads, I wouldn’t run an 800 on the right front and stay closer to above mentioned sizes with maybe a 600 on the left rear.
Some questions that come to mind for me would be, what caster blocks came with kart, are they what you need, where are you going to find more if they’re not, did the rear torsion bar come with the kart, getting the in/out spacing of the spindle setup up front is essential. Then, worst case scenario, say you get it the best it can be, will it be enough to be competitive against todays technology. I’m not trying to be condescending; however, keep in mind these are just a few of the unknowns that you’ll need to work out trying to adapt old technology to current conditions. Then again, best case scenario, your track may be suited for this kart. In the right conditions and in its original design, there is no reason this kart can’t still perform.

If I recall correctly, the earlier Aero had pedals mounted in the more historically conventional manner. The last ones had the pedal mounts in the center.

Thanks for the help. It came with some engines I bought. I enjoy rebuilding karts. Could never get your money back but I thought this might be fun to play with. Being a non offset kart I thought it could also be fun exercise kart at the local sprint track. No close dirt racing in okc at this time.

well....when you asked about treads or slicks i naturally assumed you were running dirt. forget everything i said about tires, asphalt is a whole different animal. just my opinion... this kart is way out of its element on asphalt, that's why kermit built the elkart. have fun.

Back