bully clutch problem

ttownwideglider

I have changed the bearings and checked the rear axel and shaft in the jshaft everything is strait and still have a problem with chain tension. Could the clutch driver be out of round not worn very bad. I adjust the chain with a little slack in it and as i rotate the axel and turn the clutch there is a portion of of rotation where the chain gets real tight and then turning it somemore it loosen back up. This is the only thing i can think of after a process of elemanition.

Try very slightly loosening axle sprocket nuts and spin the axle. Sometimes I have to loosen these up and put the splits of the sprocket perpendicular to the axle and the sprockets move just a few thousandths. Romoves that tight spot most of the time.

I changed the rear sprocket and tried a brand new one on it it still does the same thing. Could it be a bent axel sprocket hub? I will try and rotate the axel sprocket and see if it changes it. The amount of chain tension runout is pretty large it will go from a 1/2" of slack to being tight. The bolt holes seem to line up alright with the hub and the sprocket and the sprocket lines up good with the offset in the hub on the inside diameter of the sprocket.

It's not just the sprocket, the sprocket hole is just a little bigger than the shoulder on the sprocket hub. It's just a mismatch between the sprockets and the hub. I used to spin the axle until the chain got tight. I would then put a piece of wood against the chain and sprocket on the back, and hit it with a hammer. Never failed.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

dumb question? did you try a new chain? also the sprocket hub could be bent, hold a straight edge up to it and have someone spin while you look at it.

Yeah its a brand new gold rlv #35 never even ran yet. I have checked the side to side run out on the hub and its strait. Everything is lined up very good also (clutch driver and sprocket). Think Iam gonna try Als idea sounds like it might work and pretty easy to do. If that doesnt work then I guess I will try a new floating hub from Phantom, but kinda expensive.

I do exactly what Al said, except that I use one of those dead blow mallats from H.F., also I first very lightly tighten the sprocket carrier nuts, smack the high spot with the mallat, then check, If I find a high spot , often the mallat will help a lot. Don't forget to tighten the nuts. I also find that with a J/S set-up the tension isn't as fussy.

Al your hammer and wood block worked great thanks for the heads up. It was the sprocket not setting true on the hub.Ill remember that from now on,would have saved a lot of work.

Al your hammer and wood block worked great thanks for the heads up. It was the sprocket not setting true on the hub.Ill remember that from now on,would have saved a lot of work.
be careful, agreeing with me will make you no friends. lol lol

Al You and Jack have been on here a long time and I know you share a lot of Karting wisdom with everyone. I dont always agree with what you say but will always take it in to consideration before making my own calls. This is a great place to exchange info and knowledge and has many excellent people on it. We will never all agree on everything but thats what makes us who we are and keeps this place interesting and a wealth of knowledge . Keep up the posts like to see things get stired up on here once in a while.

mitchell. also the axle lead will tighten and loosen chain like that! grady made into the buller j shaft an angle adjuster. to keep chain aligned w/ axle/ jmho.

It's not just the sprocket, the sprocket hole is just a little bigger than the shoulder on the sprocket hub. It's just a mismatch between the sprockets and the hub. I used to spin the axle until the chain got tight. I would then put a piece of wood against the chain and sprocket on the back, and hit it with a hammer. Never failed.

Where do u hit it

I usually put the nuts on finger tight, set the slack in the chain and rolled the sprockets to help align them, then tighten the nuts the rest of the way. This left the gear loose enough it could move if it needed, a few revolutions and the chain generally fell where it needed.

I have used a home made floater hub in the axle for years on my Sudam powered kart with no issues at all caused by it.

We ran into this last night and yes it seemed to be a problem with too much play available in the gear mounting. Was changing gears anyhow, just paid better attention to it when bolting on the next gear. No further problems.

Back