Bully Drive Hub

Just wondering if anybody has had my problem. The drive hub on both my Bully 2 disc and 3 disc have cracked. The two disc was new and after the 3rd weekend when i was going thru everything i noticed it. The 3 disc is like a year and a half old so it didn't bother me so much. I'm running it on an open honda clone and thinking maybe i should try something like a Gator because I've seen that those hubs are much thicker. Any thoughts out there, and I have it coming in at 4500 before i get asked.. Thanks

Loose key way ? The gator style is a bit thicker . I have cracked a few differnt ones .
Not sure if JPM is saying you need end play or no end play ?

My end play is just the same as my stocker and been running that one for 3 years. I don't actually measure it but there is a small bit of end play, and yes it is cracking right at the key at the end of the snout all the way thru. I use a new key every time I take the clutch off just in case any of you are wondering.

Last edited:
I have cracked a smc bullet which is the gator style .
That uses the full 3/16 key .
3 weekends is a little too soon .
Does the new key fit nice and tight , no rotational movement .

Steep gearing ? Might need to go jackshaft .
Brian might have an answer .
Hubs are not really what you want as expendable's .

I’m gonna go over to my builders shop on Monday and see what he suggests and runs. Like flattop 1 said I could be spending my money elsewhere. Have any of you seen a belt drive jack shaft ran I’ve never thought about looking till now

A jackshaft will certainly help -- but I'm still thinking that you should not be cracking Bully hubs with a small block open.
Are you using the stock crank, or the ARC billet? Is there any play in the crank keyway itself? The key should be a snug fit in both the crank AND the clutch -- if one or the other is too loose, you will run into problems.

Belt drives are nice - just go from the crank to the jackshaft with it -- chain from the jackshaft back to the axle. Belt drive sprockets are expensive and hard to come by. Getting everything to line up (clearance) seems to be the biggest challenge.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Using the right key?? Bully key is different then some of the other clutches. My recommendation is to call Kermit at Buller Built and explain to him what you have. He should have a answer since he makes them.

Back