bully set up opinion

barluc99

Is there much difference in bully setup / engagement using the "standard" red spring bolt in outer hole vs black spring no weight bolt. Unrestricted animal champ 425. Performance wise comparing the two.

You def. want the red springs, Barry.
Single bolt in the outside hole of each lever, and springs at .225" will get you around 4000 rpm engagement.

Hint, don't set up the clutch with a bunch of air-gap to hit hard -- it'll break the tires loose with an unrestricted animal.
A better solution is the 4 spring Bully with blue springs to engage softer if this becomes a problem.
We build them both and you can accomplish the same "feel" or "hit" with each, but I think it's easier to get that soft engage with the 4 spring 8 weight clutch.

You may also want to consider a steel basket, as you'll chew through the aluminum ones considerably quicker now than you did with the plate in. :)
-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks Brian, I am familiar with the red spring set-up and was just curious after looking at the spring chart. Hope all is well, if you make it back home swing down and take a peak at Blanket Hill. A guy is opening it back up and putting lots of work into the place.

Thanks Brian, I am familiar with the red spring set-up and was just curious after looking at the spring chart. Hope all is well, if you make it back home swing down and take a peak at Blanket Hill. A guy is opening it back up and putting lots of work into the place.
We stopped in maybe 2-3 years ago and walked the track(s). My boys never got to race on it.
All the best to whoever's got it now. Hopefully they can make it go!

Always use heavier weights and springs if you have the choice. It'll keep the clutch locked up 1:1 better in my opinion (and others much smarter than me, I'm sure.)

Red springs for sure.

Ive been setting the animal stuff up lower then normal for RPM, with better results.

No need for a steel basket. I prefer the aftermarket aluminum ones without the steel dowel pin, I’ve got ones here going on 4 seasons with 0 wear

I think the clutch manufacturers want you to have a good expereince with their clutch so they tell you a generic position to set the spring height and gap. In many instances this will get you very close, but if you want it to be set precisely, you have to have a tack and know where the clutch is holding the engine coming out of the corners. For maximum HP at the axle, the clutch should be holding the engine at peak torque on the starts and coming out of a tight corner, i.e. Sprint racing.

Back