Burris 23

Anyone having any issues with cutting the 2023's? I have had two right sides that the cords popped on the shoulder with .070. I have never had this issue before now.

Anyone having any issues with cutting the 2023's? I have had two right sides that the cords popped on the shoulder with .070. I have never had this issue before now.
I heard of this happening with a late batch of 22's so I'm not surprised to see this on 23's. Are you cutting them on a lathe or the new style Jones cutter? If on a lathe, did the tire look right when it was mounted up or did it have some dips / waves to it? I heard for the most part last year guys were mounting the tires and leaving them inflated (what ever pressure it took to get them shaped right; if excessive pressure was needed they'd leave them in the tire ring) for a couple days before cutting due to the inconsistencies. People cutting with the new style Jones machine didn't have as many issues but the tire didn't come our true / round like it would on a lathe.

Ive seen cords next to a wear dot on Burris. Air leaks out of the nipples next to the date codes because it's so thin there. cant believe the price of these things for the quality you get. shame they haven't made a new tire that fits the current rim sizes because they just keep using their 1980 molds. or fail to add a little more rubber to stiffen the sidewall. yet they keep raising the price every year.
Sorry to rant but it needs to be said

I heard of this happening with a late batch of 22's so I'm not surprised to see this on 23's. Are you cutting them on a lathe or the new style Jones cutter? If on a lathe, did the tire look right when it was mounted up or did it have some dips / waves to it? I heard for the most part last year guys were mounting the tires and leaving them inflated (what ever pressure it took to get them shaped right; if excessive pressure was needed they'd leave them in the tire ring) for a couple days before cutting due to the inconsistencies. People cutting with the new style Jones machine didn't have as many issues but the tire didn't come our true / round like it would on a lathe.
Thanks! I'm cutting on the older Jones machine. I don't feel like the waves were more noticeable , but I do know what you mean! However, for whatever reason it's like the left side of these (the inside) tires are higher than the outside which is causing it to cut sooner on the inside. This makes it a lot more time consuming and difficult to make sure and have wear dots even .

Ive seen cords next to a wear dot on Burris. Air leaks out of the nipples next to the date codes because it's so thin there. cant believe the price of these things for the quality you get. shame they haven't made a new tire that fits the current rim sizes because they just keep using their 1980 molds. or fail to add a little more rubber to stiffen the sidewall. yet they keep raising the price every year.
Sorry to rant but it needs to be said
Agreed!

Thanks! I'm cutting on the older Jones machine. I don't feel like the waves were more noticeable , but I do know what you mean! However, for whatever reason it's like the left side of these (the inside) tires are higher than the outside which is causing it to cut sooner on the inside. This makes it a lot more time consuming and difficult to make sure and have wear dots even .
I don't get too worked up over cords. If your wear dots are good it's good by me. As J-remy states it sucks to pay that kind of money for a tire that has a significant amount of rubber but is showing a cord. Especially if you have to explain that to a tire customer.

Your comment about only having the issue on 1 side begs the question if your template is centered? If you have any more tires from this batch you may want to consider a different profile.

Last edited:
I don't get too worked up over cords. If you're wear dots are good it's good by me. As J-remy states it sucks to pay that kind of money for a tire that has a significant amount of rubber but is showing a cord. Especially if you have to explain that to a tire customer.

Your comment about only having the issue on 1 side begs the question if your template is centered? If you have any more tires from this batch you may want to consider a different profile
I don't get too worked up over cords. If you're wear dots are good it's good by me. As J-remy states it sucks to pay that kind of money for a tire that has a significant amount of rubber but is showing a cord. Especially if you have to explain that to a tire customer.

Your comment about only having the issue on 1 side begs the question if your template is centered? If you have any more tires from this batch you may want to consider a different profile.

It is centered. I have 22's sitting here as well and can put them on lathe and run it across without cutting and see it's even where when I do that with the 23's you can noticeably see the difference in sides.

Back