Burris preparation

Phenom20

How would you prepare 33s for a longer than normal race? Let's say 50-100 laps lowbite midwest track. I have brand new 22s or should I use a more seasons 19-20? Would you prep them differently to last longer?

Id wipe them for a dusty conditio….brcause thats what you will be racing on the last half of the race

have your kart set up as best as possible. everyone is in the same boat you're in. I'd use thick new tires make sure they are scuffed wipe them once with acrysol to open the pours and clean out any ground in rubber from the sander 15 min prior. hit them at the trailer (with the prep that works for said track) hit em again hard at the grid (flood them with a roller) everybody's tires are going to give up around the same time. most people use aggressive prep as a crutch for a bad set up. it will be a drivers race at the end and where it will be won.

My only problem is my other sets of 22s never seem to get into the track like the older tires seem to do. I have scuffed them and have been sitting outside for weeks. Went to try them last week and I just slide around. Bolt on a set of 20s and durometer/ prep and it's lights out fast.

That's what you'll want to stick with prep the older stuff especially with more aggressive preps, save the 22s fresh stuff NO PREP or MILD PREP only.

My only problem is my other sets of 22s never seem to get into the track like the older tires seem to do. I have scuffed them and have been sitting outside for weeks. Went to try them last week and I just slide around. Bolt on a set of 20s and durometer/ prep and it's lights out fast.
Did you prep the 22s

In another post you mentioned your track requiring goat/green....this is not a situation where an unprepped 22 would work in my opinion. It sounds like your track takes a tire with a lot of bite in it (especially considering that you (and others) are using harsh preps like these.)

In another post you mentioned your track requiring goat/green....this is not a situation where an unprepped 22 would work in my opinion. It sounds like your track takes a tire with a lot of bite in it (especially considering that you (and others) are using harsh preps like these.)
Correct. I've just been saving these 22s just incase. I've never run a race longer than 20 laps. Which I've had no problem maintaining bite through out the entire race. Was just wondering if I should prepare the tires differently since there so much longer of a race or condition during the week to maintain bite for the entire race if that was possible. The race is at night so it some what helps, but we obviously never lay rubber and barely get a prep groove most nights. Right now the tires just sit outside for 3 weeks and I'll hit them twice with really aggressive stuff (green/goat) before the race and they are really good

I have not. So your saying save the 22s for the 100 lap race? Get a couple heat cycles in them and run them no prep on a lowbite track?
No I'm trying to figure out why you were sliding , If it was no prep and track was not good enough for tire to grip enough to fire, Or if it was a chemical slid, got that answer now track didn't have enough grip for tire to fire off.
plus i gave some basic info with aggressive prep your most always better off wiping an older harder tire than a fresh new tire.
Now in trying to help going forward, just because it's 100 laps does not mean that 22 unprepped will ever fire either, however if and when they do unprepped is much faster, when you said you tried them and slid all over how much air were you on ? how did that air compare to when you use prepped tires ?

When I was on my other set of 22s wiped green/goat I was on 4 and 5 psi. Track was rolling dust under caution. I was sliding threw the whole corner and wasnt in the racetrack at all. So after the feature(we were the last class) I bolted on my 20s prepared the same and went out and practiced and went 2 tenths faster.

When I was on my other set of 22s wiped green/goat I was on 4 and 5 psi. Track was rolling dust under caution. I was sliding threw the whole corner and wasnt in the racetrack at all. So after the feature(we were the last class) I bolted on my 20s prepared the same and went out and practiced and went 2 tenths faster.
That just confirms that the older prepped tire is better than the fresh prepped tire, at least with the same preps. now if you could experiment enough a fresh wiped tire with a much milder prep wiped during the week never at the track, could end up being even faster yet, in that case yes it's fresh and yes it's prepped just differently, but make no mistake if you were to try that with a fresher never prepped set and they hook up you'd be 4th quicker.

That just confirms that the older prepped tire is better than the fresh prepped tire, at least with the same preps. now if you could experiment enough a fresh wiped tire with a much milder prep wiped during the week never at the track, could end up being even faster yet, in that case yes it's fresh and yes it's prepped just differently, but make no mistake if you were to try that with a fresher never prepped set and they hook up you'd be 4th quicker.
Alright thank you. Maybe I'll try some blacksand/ clear during the week and give them some try after the races and see what the stop watch says!

Back