Burris profile question

krtrcn

I know that with Burris you have 3 basic cuts, round, semi round and flat.
what we did get to race this year was at Ashway, which everyone uses a round cut. When would you need a semi or flat cut, and does what weight class your running have anything to do with it "425#". Then would you run the air pressure any different.

Thank's

I know that with Burris you have 3 basic cuts, round, semi round and flat.
what we did get to race this year was at Ashway, which everyone uses a round cut. When would you need a semi or flat cut, and does what weight class your running have anything to do with it "425#". Then would you run the air pressure any different.

Thank's
We currently have 7 different right side Burris 33 templates. They vary everywhere from dead flat to high crown, and everything in between.
Flatter profiles free the kart up and work better on higher biting surfaces.
Rounder profiles work better on lower biting surfaces.

Now, throw in the variances in sidewall construction and spring rate (specifically '17 and newer), and I think you'll find a trend toward flatter (or what I call intermediate) cuts producing the best lap times. With the older date code stuff, the spring rates are higher, so you can get away with cutting more off the shoulders. If you cut the shoulders hard on newer date code stuff, you'll kill the roll speed on bigger tracks.
Then consider that each chassis likes a particular profile tire, and each driver has a preference for how they want that kart to feel. Some karts are inherently locked into the track, while others are free(er.) Each would take a slightly different tire to accomplish what the driver wants on a particular track condition (which also varies as the night goes on.)
Then consider air pressure and the affect it has on sidebite, spring rate, and roll speed.
One guy can be fast on round cuts with 8 psi, while another may need flat cuts with 6 psi.

There is no "one size fits all" perfect tire for the track, although you can see definite trends if you look at the tires on the front runners.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back