Burris thicknesses

Kartracer81

Is it common for a Burris to have different thickness throughout the tire? How much does it affect the tire? Does it change Che your kart is on track?

I was just at a friends place where he does a lot of tire work. He was showing me how inconsistent some of the new tires are. some are way off. And then he showed me some that, when cut, looked fine in most areas and had cords showing in others.

6.00s specifically, for the past few years, seem to have a stray cord come to the surface at .040-.060." You can have a wear dot showing .060" tread depth and an inch away from it have a diagonal cord poking through. It won't hurt a thing, but it sure does alarm some customers who paid good money for their new tires to see a cord already showing on them.
Another problem is wheel concentricity. Quality on wheels has dropped off considerably as well.

As far as differences in tread depth around the tire, don't sweat it. Not uncommon at all on Burris. It's just another good reason to have the tires balanced (see other thread for more info.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Is it common for a Burris to have different thickness throughout the tire? How much does it affect the tire? Does it change Che your kart is on track?
Up until this year, I mostly experienced a high cord on the left rear. The 2022 batches have been all over the place in terms of consistency. Sometimes we see a dip in the middle of the tire and other times it's just on one side. It's not uncommon to see the high cord on right side tires with 2022 tires. For a business this is a bit of a nightmare because some customers are extremely dissatisfied with the appearance. I haven't had much of an issue with the dot depth from side to side. The people using a lathe have to put significantly more time into cutting tires than the people using the new style Jones cutters.

While I prefer to not have cords showing it doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure what you're asking about it changing once it's on the track. My general response would be what you see with the kart on the stand would be the same once it's set down circling the track.

Everyone who’s ever worked with a Burris before:

Attachments

• A1986E89-387B-4A38-B9D7-CE6EC3F7DBA0.jpeg
    A1986E89-387B-4A38-B9D7-CE6EC3F7DBA0.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 23
Back