Burris tire numbers

LynnRacing

Catalog #s are generally assigned to a part for obvious reasons which brings me to the question , where did the #s SS33A SS-11 SS-22 etc come from.

TIA
Jeff

The numbering system is to designate a hardness progresion depicting where the tires fall in line somewhat relative to one another with the lower number being softer and the higher being harder (11 soft to 55 hard). SS series was a new mold design that followed the D series in the slicks where the B series is a newer generation rubber that was used in the middle to harder ranges.

I hope this helps and answers the question completely.

Kurt

So the #s 11-22-33-55 don't mean anything other than just a sequence ? They could have very well been labeled 5-10-15-20 ?

So the #s 11-22-33-55 don't mean anything other than just a sequence ? They could have very well been labeled 5-10-15-20 ?
I believe you could have worded that a little better, but essentially you made the correct point. Perhaps the hate mail people didn't know what sequence meant. All they saw was the, "don't mean anything" part.

I believe you could have worded that a little better, but essentially you made the correct point. Perhaps the hate mail people didn't know what sequence meant. All they saw was the, "don't mean anything" part.

2 different subjects Al , hate mail was in ref to something totally differnt

Jeff, as Kurt said they are just a number sequence. Hoosiers run the same way, d10, rd12, d15, d20, d30, rd35 (all the ones we have for our 600 micro, not 100% if they all carry over to karts) with the 10s being softest. Pretty sure the SS stood for "Solution Series" back in the day. I've had lots of soft Burris through the years, t2s, k21s, dxcs, d21s, ss11s....

Jeff, as Kurt said they are just a number sequence. Hoosiers run the same way, d10, rd12, d15, d20, d30, rd35 (all the ones we have for our 600 micro, not 100% if they all carry over to karts) with the 10s being softest. Pretty sure the SS stood for "Solution Series" back in the day. I've had lots of soft Burris through the years, t2s, k21s, dxcs, d21s, ss11s....

I worked for a large electrical wholesale for 16+ years and part #s actually meant something for example an 8' fluorescent light bulb was (F) for fluorescent (96) for length (T) for tubular (12) 12/8 of an inch in diameter (CW) Cool White
I was just trying to figure out if the #s actually meant anything that's all.... ie .....worthless knowledge :)

I didn't understand your question in the way that you intended it to be answered. If you want actual part numbers as opposed to what they're called, that's easy too.....

981633 = 11 x 8.1-6 SS-33A
950622 = 11 x 5.0-6 SS-22
960611 = 11 x 6.0-6 SS-11

9 prefix is a tire with the next 3 digits being the size and the last ones are the compound

I think you can see the pattern and fill in the blanks. Racers aren't typically referencing tires by part number, they are referencing by a physical parameter. We work both ways with them when taking the orders. Some work with part numbers (981633) and some work with the physical reference (8.1 SS-33A or 11 x 8.1-6 SS-33A) in the same way as someone asking the guy at the counter for an 8' fluorescent bulb with the specifics you detailed above.

Typically it is easier to work with the physical description when talking with someone.

Kurt

I didn't understand your question in the way that you intended it to be answered. If you want actual part numbers as opposed to what they're called, that's easy too.....

981633 = 11 x 8.1-6 SS-33A
950622 = 11 x 5.0-6 SS-22
960611 = 11 x 6.0-6 SS-11

9 prefix is a tire with the next 3 digits being the size and the last ones are the compound

I think you can see the pattern and fill in the blanks. Racers aren't typically referencing tires by part number, they are referencing by a physical parameter. We work both ways with them when taking the orders. Some work with part numbers (981633) and some work with the physical reference (8.1 SS-33A or 11 x 8.1-6 SS-33A) in the same way as someone asking the guy at the counter for an 8' fluorescent bulb with the specifics you detailed above.

Typically it is easier to work with the physical description when talking with someone.

Kurt

Thank you.... I know its worthless knowledge :)

Kurt, In the PN system you listed above, how would you be able to tell if I want a B33B or a B33A? Doesn't the first 4 letters in the date stamp indicate the tire size and compound? what does the CY8J indicate?

Back