Burris vs. Maxxis vs. Vegas vs. Hoosier

Zach Jaynes

Without coming to blows about this, assuming a track has an open tire rule and you can run any tire that you want, in which situations/conditions would you choose the different brands listed and why?

Maxxis on higher biting tracks and when you need a tire punching around 55. Vegas and Hoosiers on low/no bite and when you need a tire punching softer than when your Maxxis are fast (especially 40d or lower.) Burris when it's a Burris tire rule.
Obviously these are "generalizations", certain tracks like certain brands more than others. Very short tracks with tight corners accommodate softer sidewall tire construction, whereas bigger (momentum) tracks will allow a stiffer sidewall tire to "roll" faster.
We sell them all, and race them all. Whatever is faster is what we'll be on each night. Generally, you know ahead of time what tire brand and compound will be fast at any particular track so it's not like you have to bring every brand to every track. Some folks prefer one brand over another for wear characteristics and affordability. Others like that you use less prep on certain brands than on others. What's nice about an open tire rule is that you are given the opportunity to choose the tire that you want to run (for whatever reason.)
America - land of opportunity. (Well, unless we are talking Obamacare...LOL)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm kinda wondering the same thing cause I heard thru the great vine that out local track is going to an open tire rule.... Ive head alot of good about hoosier tires? Do u cut and prep them like a burris?

That depends on what Hoosier you are looking at.

The RD35, (which punches 50-52) does not absolutely require cutting (and most of the time we don't) but there are advantages to cutting tires for particular applications (cut shoulders for sidebite, or flatcut them between the dots.)
The D30A, (which also punches 50-52,) however, really likes being cut since it has .110" thick rubber. This is the Hoosier tire that is closest to the Burris 33A.

You prep a Hoosier similarly to a Vega (less than a Burris) because of the chemical/rubber make-up of the tire itself.
I like Hoosiers because you don't have to work them a week or two before a big race like some other brands. If a track had a realistic "no prep rule," then I'd be on Hoosiers hands down over all other brands. As soon as you introduce prep to the equation, you can make most any tire work as long as the sidewall construction is what 's desired for the track.

Thanks so much for your detailed responses Brian. That's EXACTLY the type of info I was looking to find. Now, you mentioned cost and wear characteristics, where do all the brands we discussed stack up in those areas? I've been trying to re-learn things after several years away from karts, and I'm quickly realizing that I'm not re-learning, just learning in general as I didn't ever know nearly as much as I had once thought. Again, I thank you for your time and when I get ready to stock up on some tires, you will be the first person that I call because you've already been very helpful and I have nowehere local to buy anything. Thanks again!

Tire chemical make-up, durometer, and tread depth are the biggest reasons one tire lasts longer than another (regardless of brand.) What wears tires the most is the constant cutting, grinding, refinishing, softening from prep, etc that we do to these tires outside of actual use on the track. Great example is the Burris SS55 tire -- it will wear for a very long time if it is not "worked", but when we start by cutting 3/4 of the rubber from the tread, then prep it down to be like a 33, just to make it fast, you've got a tire with a MUCH shorter lifecycle.

Thanks for the kind words.
Hopefully our service "after" the sale impresses even more. ;)

you will be the first person that I call because you've already been very helpful and I have nowehere local to buy anything. Thanks again!

That's how this place is suppose to work, and Brian is one of the best here with free flowing expert assistance.
Thanks from me to Mr. Carlson

Thanks again Brian. I read your entire write up on Hoosier tires on your website. VERY informative and interesting. I'm sold on the Hoosiers for my application and for the tracks that I will be running. And hey, they just look so cool with that white Hoosier logo on the sidewall! Obviously I'll need some stagger options, so do you recommend buying like 2 lefts and 4 rights, or vice versa, or something all together different? I would think I'd need about 6 tires anyway when I'm starting with nothing.

Thank you ALL for your kind words. The write up on our website is a bit dated for sure, but I believe it to all still be accurate. If I ever get caught up with customer work, then I'll have a bit of time over the winter months to make some updates to our site.
As far as what tires and how many to purchase -- that's going to be your call. I prefer to set all of my right sides at (or very near) 34" in circumference. This way, when I change right sides (for whatever reason) I don't upset the balance of the kart. I prefer to use the left side tires to make stagger changes. Typically, you'll want something like 1 1/2" front stagger and 1" rear stagger. That's easily enough accomplished with the standard wheel sizes: 6 or 6 1/2" LF, 8 1/4" - 8 1/2" LR, and 10" right sides. Depending on the radius of your track, how much bite it has, and what your chassis likes, determines the preferred left rear width. For instance, I can mount and size a LR to 33" whether it's on an 8 1/4" or 8 3/4" wide wheel. Sure it's easier to make the tire smaller by using the wider wheel, but that also introduces other affects that you may not desire in chassis handling. Some guys like to stand the LR up on a narrower wheel when going to less stagger (ie 8 1/4" rim to accomplish 3/4" stagger.) I can accommodate most anything (within reason) when sizing tires for you. We can talk more about specific track applications better over the phone when you're ready to order. Just give us a shout -- we're always ready to help.

Blessings,
Brian

Thanks again Brian. I read your entire write up on Hoosier tires on your website. VERY informative and interesting. I'm sold on the Hoosiers for my application and for the tracks that I will be running. And hey, they just look so cool with that white Hoosier logo on the sidewall! Obviously I'll need some stagger options, so do you recommend buying like 2 lefts and 4 rights, or vice versa, or something all together different? I would think I'd need about 6 tires anyway when I'm starting with nothing.

I'm interested in looking more into the Hoosiers, could you post the link to the site?

Brian , have you done any racing yet at MKB in Ohio , planning a few trips there this coming season and was told the Maxxis were the way to go there , and wondering if the Hoosier would be a good choice since it's an open tire rule . Have heard track is tough on the rr tire , other than that it's about all I know .

No, I haven't personally ran at MKB, but I've had customers run there. I've probably ran at every big car track in Ohio and most of the kart tracks so I doubt there's anything in the dirt that I'm unfamiliar with. If they're using calcium, that'll make it tough on tires. If a Maxxis is fast, then typically a Hoosier RD35 is fast in the midwest. If the track is marginal to a Pink, (ie guys start switching over from Burris 33s to a Maxxis Pink,) then the RD35 will go real well -- if it bites up hard enough to be on a 55d Pink or harder, it'll be tough to compete with it or a Firestone in those situations.
Thanks for the question.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank you for the info Brian , as always . As I said , I'm planning a few trips to MKB , hopefully I will finally get a set of them Hoosiers from you !!! , see you at the swap meets !

Back