Buying my first GoKart

miguelgaa

Hello Lads,

My name is Miguel and i'm from Portugal, i'm 25 years old and i'm thinking on buying a Kart
The kart is supposed just to have fun, not compete or anything like that, maybe after some time i might save some money and buy a new one if i want to race

So having that in mind and since is my first GoKart i'm not thinking of spending 5 grand on it

What i want is a 125cc GoKart, automatic or manual (manual preffered), front brakes is a big plus, i accept suggestions from you guys that know a lot more than me :p

I already saw some karts and if you can comment what you think of them would be great (i attached some pictures of the two ads)

One of the GoKarts is a CRS 6 speed engine mounted on an Alpha chassis, it needs new reed valves (i think this is the name) Is it something easy to change? how to spot if that is the only problem on the motor?

The second one is a Vortex tt 125 mounted on a Tony Kart chassis this one is supposed to be ready to run

The Alpha costs 1100€ and the tonyKart costs 1300€

What would you recommend me?
Other options are acceptable

Thanks in advance for the help

I would be careful buying a kart that "just needs reeds" if that is the case why hasn't the seller put a set in... I'm not an expert but have been told the Rotax has a longer service life between rebuilds. Something to consider if you are not going to be racing.

If you want a manual gearbox I would go with the Alpha with the thought you will need to do a complete rebuild. I would ask the guy to put the reeds in it so you can run it down the road and see if it actually runs. With any kart inspect it for cracks in the frame and bearings and any odd bits you see.

I would be careful buying a kart that "just needs reeds" if that is the case why hasn't the seller put a set in... I'm not an expert but have been told the Rotax has a longer service life between rebuilds. Something to consider if you are not going to be racing.

I agree with this. Where are you located? I see the Tony Kart has stickers from Monlau Conpeticion in
Spain.

Yes I would prefer a shifter, I’m from Portugal, the alpha is from Portugal and the tony kart is indeed from Spain (in Portugal there is not much offer or the ones that exist are really expensive and Spain is right next so if I need to buy there no problem for me)
By the way I don’t know if it matters but I’m 1,92m and 90kg(6’3 and 198lbs)

Back