Cage on a Flat Kart?

Cages are added to regular flat kart all the time with no issues, belts and the use of arm restraints go along with adding the cage of course , but the Insurance Co your talking with should answer your question.
There is another option for that new track FIND a different insurance co .

So how well does a Kirkey seat fit laid back so much? Cant put a 5 point harness on around a fiberglass laid back seat.

Not that easy in California. The broker specialized in racing events even. Insures other existing tracks that run flat karts. But this is a new track. New rules. This new promoter cant even use the word “kart” in class descriptions!
Cages are added to regular flat kart all the time with no issues, belts and the use of arm restraints go along with adding the cage of course , but the Insurance Co your talking with should answer your question.
There is another option for that new track FIND a different insurance co .

So how well does a Kirkey seat fit laid back so much? Cant put a 5 point harness on around a fiberglass laid back seat.

Not that easy in California. The broker specialized in racing events even. Insures other existing tracks that run flat karts. But this is a new track. New rules. This new promoter cant even use the word “kart” in class descriptions!
What do you mean you can't put a harness on with a fiberglass seat? People have been doing it for years. I'd be looking for a different insurance company.

Forget about the Broker, and find another insurance co , there are plenty out there in this situation they would classify it as a local option class.

What do you mean you can't put a harness on with a fiberglass seat? People have been doing it for years. I'd be looking for a different insurance company.
I dont know. I am pretty new at this stuff. Got half a season under my belt is all. Can a harness work with the fiberglass seat? Thats why I ask. I have never seen a caged flat kart. Heck I have probably seen 30 flat karts ever.

I dont know. I am pretty new at this stuff. Got half a season under my belt is all. Can a harness work with the fiberglass seat? Thats why I ask. I have never seen a caged flat kart. Heck I have probably seen 30 flat karts ever.
To answer all the questions, yes they will work with a fiberglass lay down seat, yes you can bolt on a cage to a flat kart easily, and yes this rule the insurance has about it must be a cage kart is stupid.

To comply with existing rules, the wheelbase needs to be lengthened when converting a flat kart to a champ. I don't know if they exist anywhere else, but in the state of Maine they run what are called "Rockers". They are flat karts that have a bolt on cage.

To comply with existing rules, the wheelbase needs to be lengthened when converting a flat kart to a champ. I don't know if they exist anywhere else, but in the state of Maine they run what are called "Rockers". They are flat karts that have a bolt on cage.
Outlaw winged cage karts are similar to Rockers, Chip. Floating, bolt-on spring cage, on a typical 40" wheelbase flat kart. They don't run the flat kart noses though, they run a champ kart (sprint car looking) hood and top wing. They are more popular on the west coast than flat karts. They are fairly popular in the midwest and at least one track (Millbridge) in the southeast. Champ karts are non-existent on the west coast so I'm fairly certain the cage karts that the OP is talking about would be of the winged outlaw variety.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The issue with the insurance company may be as simple as a guard rail that has a gap under it at track level. We discovered this when looking at putting a kart race on at a big car track. I don't know what their specific issue is, but going with a bolt-on cage is better than not having a track to run at. :unsure:

We have a promising new track trying to start up here in my town in Northern Ca. The problem is the insurance company says caged only.

So what are your thoughts on this? Is it safe to add the cage to a flat kart and leave the rest alone?
There must be a need elsewhere as this company exists an looks pretty good

https://toigoracing.com/collections/conversion-components/products/toigo-cage

Thanks!
What town? I know Hanford has been trying to have a cage clone class this past summer and I believe cycle land had a cage clone class as well. I personally wouldn’t spend the money to put a cage on a flat kart I’d try to find an older QRC or RFC roller and just put a clone on it. But that’s just me personally

Outlaw winged cage karts are similar to Rockers, Chip. Floating, bolt-on spring cage, on a typical 40" wheelbase flat kart. They don't run the flat kart noses though, they run a champ kart (sprint car looking) hood and top wing. They are more popular on the west coast than flat karts. They are fairly popular in the midwest and at least one track (Millbridge) in the southeast. Champ karts are non-existent on the west coast so I'm fairly certain the cage karts that the OP is talking about would be of the winged outlaw variety.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
That group out of WV that traveled they all ran rocker setups

Well it looks like we got the OK to run flat karts clones and no cage now! Adults only though.
Hopefully it sticks!
Thank you all for the responses. This will be a great track!

Well it looks like we got the OK to run flat karts clones and no cage now! Adults only though.
Hopefully it sticks!
Thank you all for the responses. This will be a great track!
That’s awesome! Where is this track gonna be? I’m in the Central Valley and I run KT100 now but I’ve still got a few clone engine in the shop and would love to hit some new tracks

That’s awesome! Where is this track gonna be? I’m in the Central Valley and I run KT100 now but I’ve still got a few clone engine in the shop and would love to hit some new tracks
Lakeport, Ca.
There has been races here at the Fairgrounds in Lakeport for years. There is 10 races coming up very soon as well.
This is a “new” track that ran for a couple years 10-15 years ago. Getting it back going. Be next summer.

Attachments

• 111782DC-A6FA-48A6-9B99-D3EBFF4083D0.jpeg
    111782DC-A6FA-48A6-9B99-D3EBFF4083D0.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 34
Lakeport, Ca.
There has been races here at the Fairgrounds in Lakeport for years. There is 10 races coming up very soon as well.
This is a “new” track that ran for a couple years 10-15 years ago. Getting it back going. Be next summer.
So is the normal lakeport indoor series not happening?

So is the normal lakeport indoor series not happening?
It wasnt. Now it is. Only the original promoters are not doing it. The fairgrounds themselves are doing it. So I am not really sure how it will go. But I will be there to find out.
A few racers from down your way came up and kicked our butts last winter once.

Attachments

• 97270E21-52A4-4952-932B-C48FB87FD637.jpeg
    97270E21-52A4-4952-932B-C48FB87FD637.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
It wasnt. Now it is. Only the original promoters are not doing it. The fairgrounds themselves are doing it. So I am not really sure how it will go. But I will be there to find out.
A few racers from down your way came up and kicked our butts last winter once.
Ya I help the gal who won out a lot and her boyfriend. Good kids for sure. Hopefully I will make a trip up there once or twice

Back