Calcium prepared track

Best results are to water and run in as normally would, then mist it with water again then spread calcium flakes key is use enough track should look covered, re run it in with run in vehicles it will get real slimy then gain some grip, when it goes dull looking shine leaves keep moving down and it's ready for karts, finish it off with karts as soon as run in vehicles go off.
If it does not go real slimy and you do not start hearing a vacuum sound as you run it in you did not use enough calcium, if it does not seal over and hold you did not have enough moisture in and on track when calcium went on, also always add to top surface only never down in the track, basically the flakes lay there and keep purging moisture for a lot longer period of time thus adds grip and holds it together. Magnesium chloride flakes can be used as a substitute. When figuring out amount to use take into consideration cloud cover or sunshine but for example on a warmer sunny day my old 1/8th mile track took 16 to 18 ) 50 lb bags, It would hold all day and turn a normally 10 sec night racing track on 11's, into a high 8 sec day racing track on 55's.

Last edited:
Biggest misconception with calcium is thinking just the fact you use calcium it's automatically going to add grip, it's not that simple still all about volumes and timing and it's the fact that the calcium keeps purging moisture that adds the grip. And make no mistake there is no as good substitute for calcium, the mag flakes do work real well.

Another mistake is say a 2 day show track is smooth and hard from Saturday it rains over night Sunday morning track is showing standing water, you must run that in before applying calcium or you just wasting it, as it just turns into liquid and you never get the same effect, remember yes surface needs to have moisture in it when calcium goes on but not water covered that the flakes just dissolve, you need the flakes to lay on surface and purge moisture as you re run it in, then it will keep purging moisture during practice while the karts are on it which makes the grip.

That is basically how we do our track it’s an 8th mile gumbo clay gets hard fast and black specially when we get enough water and calcium on it but I do have a question for race promoter
Every so often when we put the calcium on there it gets a white hazy look to it and it never really builds grip and doesnt get as fast and black as it normally does
what would be the cause of that?
not enough calcium? Not enough water?

That is basically how we do our track it’s an 8th mile gumbo clay gets hard fast and black specially when we get enough water and calcium on it but I do have a question for race promoter
Every so often when we put the calcium on there it gets a white hazy look to it and it never really builds grip and doesnt get as fast and black as it normally does
what would be the cause of that?
not enough calcium? Not enough water?
Not enough moisture in and on the track when you apply the calcium, and always re-run the surface in with vehicles ( not as much as final run in ) before Calcium goes on, then if to dry mist it again before calcium goes on. Point being you do not want track surface packed as tight as can be when calcium goes on, Then after calcium don't re run it in to long as soon as shine leaves and it's dull looking get off and get karts on it.

Not enough moisture in and on the track when you apply the calcium, and always re-run the surface in with vehicles ( not as much as final run in ) before Calcium goes on, then if to dry mist it again before calcium goes on. Point being you do not want track surface packed as tight as can be when calcium goes on, Then after calcium don't re run it in to long as soon as shine leaves and it's dull looking get off and get karts on it.
So Saturday morning I should re-run the track
Then lightly mist it, then apply calcium?
Should I let the mist dry before applying calcium
We normally stay there late Friday night watering and packing the track then dragging tires to get some black on it
Should I not pack it as hard on Friday night?
Should we drag tires Friday night?
Thanks

So Saturday morning I should re-run the track ( YES ) even if 2 day race and track was great 1st day, just water and re run in.
Then lightly mist it, then apply calcium? ( YES )
Should I let the mist dry before applying calcium ( NO not to much, as long as it's not pounding water )
We normally stay there late Friday night watering and packing the track then dragging tires to get some black on it
Should I not pack it as hard on Friday night? ( NOT as hard, and mist last before you leave )
Should we drag tires Friday night? ( ONLY if needed to smooth things out some, drag tires while running in Calcium ) just don't drag and run in to long.
Thanks

Last edited:
We normally put 14 or 15 bags on there during the hotter months but it looks like it’s gonna be a little overcast and a little cooler 70s here in Florida this weekend with a slight chance of rain
Was thinking about only putting eight or 10 bags on there this weekend
I’m afraid it’s not going to get hot enough and the chance rain worries me what do you think let me know thank you

We normally put 14 or 15 bags on there during the hotter months but it looks like it’s gonna be a little overcast and a little cooler 70s here in Florida this weekend with a slight chance of rain
Was thinking about only putting eight or 10 bags on there this weekend
I’m afraid it’s not going to get hot enough and the chance rain worries me what do you think let me know thank you
What size is the track ?

1/8 mile gumbo clay
Speedway park in Fruitland Park fl
As example the track I operated was a small 1/8 th mile banked but very little clay and hard HOT summer sunny days I had to use 20 bags, considerably cooler but sunny days I would cut back 2 bags, considerably Cooler NO or very little sun I would cut back 2 more bags, for gumbo clay I'd say your close at 14 to 15 bags with enough moisture to start, you can cut bags 2 to 3 bags based on temp and sunshine, BUT do not cut back based on chance of a rain shower, If you get a shower just deal with it let it dry some and re run it in, because IF you cut back to much and get NO rain it will give reverse effect and dry out to quick and go dusty causing more cautions and loosing more time.

Good Luck !!

Back