Calibrate scales

Where can I get a set of scales calibrated. Bought a set of scales and they are way off. They are the older SWI set from intercomp.

Look in your phone book for a local place that does this. When I lived in VA we had Apple Valley Scale company. There are many other companies out there that offer scale calibration.

Using your scales your interested in percentages not weight. Put a 5# bag of sugar on each one and adjust the calibration so each reads 5#'s.

I was state certified to calibrate electronic scales and used a set of certified $2000 weights to make sure each of my 4 $6 Walmart scales read the same. ... :) I still have two sets of weights because I got to take my tools with me when I retired and the weight sets were just tools.

This sort of looks like what I have for weights. There just sitting in my junk pile of tools i'll probably never use or need.

https://spwindustrial.com/1-kg-10-m...ration-weight-set-traceable-nist-certificate/

Listen to Paul, on this subject, he seems to know what he's talking about. Adjust each scale to a known weight, there must be some kind of adjustment screw, lever, something to adjust them to the weight you put on them. 5 pound bag of sugar, 10 pound bag of flour, hundred pound bag of cement, they would all work.

The person I bought them from agreed to have them calibrated at intercomp. They are an older set but I want them to be correct when I use them.

I'm pretty sure those scales work with a strain gauge. Strain gauges are kind of sensitive to the ambient temp. I know that because I had a dyno back in the eighties and I had to calibrate the readings every time I ran the dyno. Temperatures in the dyno room could vary from about 55° to something over 90°. I'm pretty sure strain gauges are meant to be operated in a temperature control room. I made a precisely measured 1 foot arm that would bolt to the absorption unit and hung a precisely weighed weight on the end of it. I would then calibrate the computer (very easy to do) to that weight and number that the strain gauge put out.

I have some ProForm wired scales that I thought was having a problem with one scale. Online they showed the calibration steps you would take if you did it at home. Sounds good? No. The procedure requires a 650 pound weight, like we all have them and a forklift laying around. Luckily it turned out to be one of the leads wasnt plugged in properly.

Back