**Calling all clone experts**

What bottomed out on your guideplate ? Just wondering

A 1.3 rocker moves the pushrod closer to the stud, it will bind in the guide plate with the plastic inserts. I use the metal guide plate and open the stud hole up enough to keep the push rod in the proper position as the valve moves through its cycle. Or, you can use the aftermarket guide plate.

Thanks Barry; Just wondering who else knew That...--- Also W/ Raceseng 3/16" or 1/4" pushrods; the slots need to be widened and deepened .050 With all of the Aftermarket guide plates I have touched.

"Clone style" seems to open the door to a 390 carb. That's what I would go with but might want to check with whoever is in charge of tech.

Yeah there are a lot of gray areas left in these rules. Like I said, I want to be legal and don't want to do anything that the rules state I can't, but if they don't specify, it looks like to me the door is open. For instance, it says stock head. Well, I can port/polish the head and mill it down. It's still the stock head, granted it's no longer in stock form, but it is THE stock head that the motor came with.

What bottomed out on your guideplate ? Just wondering

I had an rs guide plate but when it came to the top of the cam lobe my push rods would hit the guide plate as stated... I just went to work an milled one out of 6061 alum with added space... low I can come to full lift and still have .100 extra...

I'd get the new style predator with the cast valve cover, this one uses the same cams as the 196's. I'd go with a bp2 cam,26# springs, holy moses bsp carb,930 header, arc rod and flywheel and stainless valves. I'd also take the head to a local machine shop or send it out to a kart shop to shave it to bump the compression up.

At the very least....have Barry Young 'treat' your cylinder head!

Yeah there are a lot of gray areas left in these rules. Like I said, I want to be legal and don't want to do anything that the rules state I can't, but if they don't specify, it looks like to me the door is open. For instance, it says stock head. Well, I can port/polish the head and mill it down. It's still the stock head, granted it's no longer in stock form, but it is THE stock head that the motor came with.[/QUOTE
I doubt that's what they mean by stock head.
Your engine your interpretation.

These rules are perfect examples of problems at the track. There are too many areas that can be exploited. A sanctioning body has to spell the rules out plain, clear and precise, so every stupid person, super intelligent person, and/or competitive person can participate on a level field. It is not that hard to do, you just have to have the ability to say NO the rules are clear.

My example is the rule for carburetor, it makes no sense, what is an aftermarket carburetor for a clone, could use use a Keihin carb.?

These rules are perfect examples of problems at the track. There are too many areas that can be exploited. A sanctioning body has to spell the rules out plain, clear and precise, so every stupid person, super intelligent person, and/or competitive person can participate on a level field. It is not that hard to do, you just have to have the ability to say NO the rules are clear.

My example is the rule for carburetor, it makes no sense, what is an aftermarket carburetor for a clone, could use use a Keihin carb.?
There is no such thing as 'clear and precise' (rules) for "stupid" people.....oops, JMO

Sure there are:
"Carburetor - Must be a clone style carb. Aftermarket carb is ok but no machining only can change emulsion tube
and jets."

Who would this rule be written for?

I think I would use one of the Mikuni clone style, carbs out there.

subbie it is evident you have not been involved with trying to enforce the rules at a racing event. You get 30 competitors that are competing with vague rules that can be thought about, not even over thought, and you have bedlam. Every second poster on here complains about the AKRA extensive rule set. Define aftermarket, define clone style, how can you police no machining without given specifications. Subbie if you think you can depend upon the racer or teams honesty to adhere to vague rules as the creator envisioned them, you haven't been around enough.

Mod2 Cam Ok - Must have same lift as stock, longer duration is Ok
I’m wondering about this. By lift are they saying total lift, or lift rate? With more duration, you’re going to have a faster lift rate. With a faster lift rate, you have a cam that most likely is going to make more HP.

"Carburetor - Must be a clone style carb. Aftermarket carb is ok but no machining only can change emulsion tube
and jets."

A GX390 is a "clone style carb".

Back