Cam copier

flattop1

Dawg 89
Any one have a picture of a cam copier they could share ?
I can't picture in my mind how you sync both cams .

Everything you need to know is in a single pic of a machine built by the master himself. Go to Dyno Cams fb page and scroll down to near the bottom of the pics to view Mike's original hand built cam 'duplicator'. Copier just doesn't give it enough praise for it's accuracy.

Maybe this can help. The part with the cam moves back and forth. The cam being copied rests against a metal wheel the same size as the grinding wheel on the opposite side. As the cam is rotated against the steel wheel, it allows the opposite cam blank to contact the grinding wheel. Since the metal wheel follows the cam, it can only replicate what is there if the two cams are calibrated and trued in the chuck.

I'm sure it's an art, since you'd probably have to know when to stop and how fast to turn it. And, polish it up and make it all fancy looking without taking it under size.

Maybe this can help. The part with the cam moves back and forth. The cam being copied rests against a metal wheel the same size as the grinding wheel on the opposite side. As the cam is rotated against the steel wheel, it allows the opposite cam blank to contact the grinding wheel. Since the metal wheel follows the cam, it can only replicate what is there if the two cams are calibrated and trued in the chuck.

I'm sure it's an art, since you'd probably have to know when to stop and how fast to turn it. And, polish it up and make it all fancy looking without taking it under size.
Typical rocker arm type can grinders like this will do a fairly good job, but aren't nearly accurate enough to satisfy your average engine builder. The profile will change as the rocker bed passes above and below the center line of it's travel and the wheels. The genius of Mike's machine is it's linear motion, keeping the cams in perfect alignment.

Last edited:
I think I've seen his, not 100% sure. I seen another like it that moved flat back and forth. I assume that is what you mean. I couldn't find a video of one last night. Just done a quick search.

The Dyno one appered to be a disc type . Picture was not clear enough to tell for sure though . It did have linear rails .
I guess i going too shelf the idea of building my own , not a long enough life span left in me . :ROFLMAO: I'll have too hand grind the nose .

There's a company in Vietnam "Techduc" that makes a decent looking cam copier. The price is fair too. The only issue I saw was that they wanted a direct bank transfer of the funds with no offer of trade assurance services such as escrow etc. I'm not very trusting when it comes to overseas business transactions. Still keeping them in mind for a road trip the next time I'm in Thailand though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-171625.png
    Screenshot_20230110-171625.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 46
Mine is torn apart for rebuilding now I bought mine from Aaron Haga, was grinding cams I think even before Mike was doing them competition cam connection I believe that’s what his brand was prior to the “slapper” style cam was introduced it works off of timing gears off of the crank that are keyed and a disc that rotates on master cam. I will see if I have a pic of it somewhere.

Back