cam install/valve lash

briggs206

I just installed a mild dyno cam in my briggs and I need to grind for valve lash. I read that the valve has to be ground but my question is why cant I grind the lifter instead? seems it would be much easier and it would keep me from having to remove the head... I bought billet lifters for the new cam so I don't mind filing them if I can...

You can do that if you want, it is just easier to do the valve.... I do not recommend it but is possible to stick a file between the lifter and the valve and set it without taking either the head or the side cover off. I have done it with mower motors. The main problems with doing this is getting filings inside the motor and not getting the cuts square.

you sacrifice the lifter but if you got double springs installed already, it saves re inserting those pesky keepers.

got them ground today. I made my lash a bit loose (.006) but that's better then too tight. the cam calls for .004-.005. I ground the lifters not the valves. what is the difference between stock lifters and billet lifters? they seem like they are the same....

stock are made in 2 pieces welded together I think
billet is 1 piece.
At any rate billet are stronger.

Back