Cam options

Oops82x

I'm wanting to get into the 300s as far as cam goes but I don't want to have to deal with clearancing until I go bored and stroked. What is the biggest drop in cam for a non hemi 212 predator?

Go with a 265 or 275 lift cam and 1.3 ratio rockers. That will give you over .350" lift. I just installed a Black Mamba Jr without any clearance issues.
I would advise stainless valves and lash caps if going that route and whatever reccomended springs the cam calls for.

I have had clearance problems with a 275 and had zero problems with dropping in a 308. Depends on the block and crank counterweights and they certainly not all the same. Might run into problems hitting the bottom of the cylinder or a counterweight but you won't know until you try. Some cams come with a slightly narrower lobe face to avoid clearance problems there too.

Is it safe to run 1.1.3 stamped rockers with this set up? 👇
Non hemi 212
272 mongoose cam
Billet rod
Billet flywheel
26lb springs
Aluminum retainers
1.1.3 stamped rockers
Chromoly rods stock length
( I can buy 5mm ss valves if needed)

Don’t know if I will have valve float, coil bind or valve to piston clearance issues using these rockers

copy and pasted from extensive article on this site... here is the deal... we build a lot of race engines (winning) and at many tracks we never turn them over 5800 rpm... on our dyno we see peak hp at around 5500 and peak torque around 4900... we have won many races not turning them but 4700rpm... but we build them to be torque monsters... (this is for short indoor racing tracks).

i have an 18lb spring that i have made just for the hemi heads... they fit with no machine work and no shims and no cutting of the seats... and let a hemi turn 7000 with few other changes... even on all out badazz engines with $2000 billet heads... we try to keep spring pressure down... it robs power... so if we can make hp with 24lb springs we will every time... just means we have to go light weight on everything valves keepers, locks, push rods, lifters ect...

the original article is EXTENSIVE . just cant find it?

Back