Can Hilliard clutch be shimmed on the crankshaft?

LO206, inboard mounted Hilliard Flame on Alpha chassis. Initial tests of this new-to-me kart with sprockets correctly aligned caused the bolt end of the clutch to wear a hole in the side of the seat during chassis/seat deflection in high-speed left-hand corners. I moved the motor away from the driver by one mounting hole but now with a standard Hilliard clutch install (I use this video for reference
), I cannot align the sprockets since the rear axle sprocket pins will contact the internal bearing mount on the rear axle (this kart has 2 rear-axle engine-side bearing mounts).

Can one shim the Flame on the crankshaft to make the clutch sprocket shift slightly closer to the driver (I need about 3-4mm)? I would assume if so, the shims would have to be between the clutch and the chamfered washer to maintain the integrity of the clutch shoes meeting the drum surface - but I thought I understood that the clutch has to be locked against the chamfered washer...

Or...is this a case of "put it back where it was and get a stiffer seat and move the seat more to the left?" Many thanks for thoughts...

Shiming the clutch out moves the bolt out .
The chamfer goes against the crank .
Trim the axle key end so it fits . Or just slide the carrier over .
Mount the sprocket on the other side of the carrier .
If 3mm is a eighth or less it would be okay .
you need to shim the internal bore as well so the holding bolt doesn't bid anything .
Rules may dictate the choice . Lo206 clutch rules are odd .

Use a 5/16 X 24 X 3/4" button head bolt to hold the clutch on.
Use a thinner fender washer behind the button head.
Don't use the lock washer.
Tighten and loosen the button head with a 3/16 hex on your 1/4" electric impact.

I absolutely hate button head allens on something that needs removed often. If you decide to go that route, be careful not to overtighten the bolt. You round an allen wrench in it one time and you'll regret ever using a button head. You're really only gaining a few thou. over a head head bolt to begin with. If thing go really awry, at least you can get ahold of the hex head bolt with a pair of vice grips. :)
Space your clutch out so that you have enough clearance for the chain and still maintain alignment. No clutch hub endplay is actually desired on the 206. Make sure it bolts up tight.
The Hillard instructions posted above are spot on - AND won't wipe out that little key stamped into the grease trap like running without the add'l washer that they suggest.
Simpler solution is to flip the clutch around and run it outboard -- just be sure that you chain guard covers the clutch driver and chain sufficiently.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back