Can I Pull Start IT?

intimidator3

I am going to put dover's plus stroke crank kit in a clone of mine. I will have the racing flat top honda pistons and plus 20 arc billet rod. I will have the head ported and polished. I plan on putting the dyno 308 lift cam which requires 32lb dual valves springs and retainers. I am just wondering if I will be able to pull start this or will it require an electric starter?

I am going to put dover's plus stroke crank kit in a clone of mine. I will have the racing flat top honda pistons and plus 20 arc billet rod. I will have the head ported and polished. I plan on putting the dyno 308 lift cam which requires 32lb dual valves springs and retainers. I am just wondering if I will be able to pull start this or will it require an electric starter?

Yes can pull start it with that cam,But jmo 32 is a little much you would be better with 26

I agree with modifiedman, 26lb is what I would run, unless you want to turn over 9000. And, yes it will pull start, as long as the compression release is on the cam.

I'd go w/the remote (electric) starter. I am on my dually and i've got less compression/cam than you do! Don't forget...ur starter is 'Made-in-China' also, and...I don't figure too break a starter/rope on the 'Starting Grid'!! "Rope's" are for BSP!

this is so true... I just broke the arms clean out of the recoil starter not long ago... after the rope rips your arm down a couple times... just a bought takes your nipple off a couple times... youll be thinking electric starter too!!! is on my to build list... just hoping I can run the starter and the throttle at the same time to get this thing started???

As long as you still have the compression release on the cam and haven't removed the carb choke... I see no reason you couldn't pull start.

32 lb js recommended by Dynocams, 26 lb work good too.
Better use good vlvs also.
Currently have a 308 with 1.3:1/1.2:1 rockers with dual springs 44 lb/11 lb.

I've been running a Dyno 308 cam on #26 springs with 1.3 stamped steel rockers for 4 years successfully, but I'm running stock size SS valves. If you run larger valves you may need stronger springs.

Yes can pull start it with that cam,But jmo 32 is a little much you would be better with 26
I run 52 lb doubles on a 308 and have for two years with no problems what so ever due to the springs. Please explain why 32 is too much. Intimidator 3 I would go with what the manufacturer said.

You only need enough spring pressure to control the valve, prevent valve float, and seal the valve against the seat. Anything more and it is wasting energy, and causing wear.

You only need enough spring pressure to control the valve, prevent valve float, and seal the valve against the seat. Anything more and it is wasting energy, and causing wear.

+1 If more was better, why not just install 3 ( triple ) springs on each valve for 100# seat pressure. Some people read too many car books ..................

JMO

Dave E.

+1 If more was better, why not just install 3 ( triple ) springs on each valve for 100# seat pressure. Some people read too many car books ..................

JMO

Dave E.

X2

I run the dyno 356 and they call for dual 55 springs but I run the 32 single spring
and its just fine at 9000.more is not always better.

I have a 308 and use the 26lb springs. I also have 27/24 SS valves. My optimal RPM range seems to be about 8,000. I seem to be out motored by the front runners but dont have a porblem hanging with them because of better setup. Would 32lb springs give me a little more power that my motor can handle? I'd like to be in the 8,500-8,600 RPM range for optimal power. I run short tracks so the motor isnt redlined long at all. I was told a 274 Cam and 37lb springs would be better. What do you guys think?

Back