can utilize cut the cage off a jr champ

billy4809

I have an 05 ultramax jr champ kart but no one in my area race these can u cut the cage off a jr champ kart and it still react right to setups or am I better off selling it or trading for a flat kart. Thx for any input

I'd compare geometry to the same model/year flat kart....even if it's the same other than cage, still probably act slightly differently. I woudn't even attempt if the geometry is different -- ie. longer wheelbase.

Not that I am an expert -- but I am a mechanical engineer and I am afraid that if you cut the cage off the kart you are opening up a can of worms as to stress and strain that was built into kart when it was originally welded. I am not talking so much safety -- I am sure it will stay together -- I am talking about twisting and warping due to the relief of welded joints now beginning relieved. Just my opinion -- If you do cut it off tell me how it goes -- I would like to know. I would go with suggestion above to sell or trade for a flat kart. Good luck and stay safe !

no one around your area races them, so selling local is not a good option.
sell or trade for something usable or affordable in equal condition possibly.
an 05 the value has pretty much stabilized.
I would say do it. can always weld it back on.

We did it to are first kart bad idea handled horrible no 2 weeks it reacted them same and the frame ended up cracking only thing holding it together was a weight mount I would highly suggest trying to sell it or trade I know I will never make that choice agian

I'an not a pro, but I would cut the cage off, grind the welding spots nice and clean, then heat up those spots about three inches each side from the middle of where the welding were to about 300 deg. F then cool off with water ......................................Maybe I stupid for posting something like this .....................

300 degrees is not enough to normalize. You would need to heat the whole frame to around 1000 degrees to really normalize it, and cool gradually under blankets, etc./. This is why all the comments about powdercoating damaging your frame are ridiculous... Powdercoating is only 500 degrees or so...

Given no better option, I'd cut and gradually sand/grind the areas flush so heat buildup was minimal. If the metal is blueing, you're applying too much pressure or ground too long. But check the wheelbase rules -- I'm pretty sure that karts and champs have different wheelbases depending on your class.

I think the big problem is like flattop is saying. Champs have a longer wheelbase and will probably handle way different. Also but I'm not sure I think there is a wheelbase rule for flat karts.

Someone might want it for a beginner kart for a kid to log some laps on so I wouldn't give up on the "sell" option. But I agree, the class is dead around here, too.

put it on craigslist with some crap odd ball "built" motor what ever the heck that means with some scab tires , sell it as a racing kart and guys eat that stuff up for backyard racing or a yard kart

Back