Cant figure brakes out

I fliped the petals on kart i bought for my daughter but I keep losing breaks like theres no pressure.. cant figure out how to bleed or what my problem is please help
20200304_200342_compress96.jpg

Attachments

• 20200304_200335_compress32.jpg
    20200304_200335_compress32.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 60
These on the CRG .
Look neglected.
Did they work. Before ?
What have you tried ?
Did you readjust the rod ?
Disconnect it move the arm all the way too the rear .
Then adjust rod to fit pedal , for maximum stroke .

Looks like it sat in the rain or high humidity area for awhile. Needs to be taken apart cleaned and make sure no corrosion inside like you see on the outside.

Those brakes look similar to old DAP brakes I had. There is no fluid resevoir on the master cylinder. To bleed them your best bet is some form of pressure bleeder. You can improvise a cheap pressure bleeder from a squeeze bottle with a tapered spout (like a catsup bottle) or purchase something more expensive. Start by removing a bleeder screw (one of the allen screws next to the brake line) at the caliper, then remove the filler plug (above the brake line) on the master cylinder. Twist the tapered end of the pressure bleeder bottle into the filler hole of the master cylinder and squeeze. Let the fluid run out of the caliper bleed hole until you stop getting bubbles, then re-install the bleeder plug while maintaining some pressure on the bottle to keep air from getting back into the caliper. (This may take 2 people.) Remove the bottle from the master cylinder and top off the master cylinder with brake fluid before re-installing the filler plug. It's OK for brake fluid to seep out as you install the filler plug, but clean it off afterward. (Brake fluid can damage paint.)

I would advise checking with someone familiar with that brand of brakes before buying fluid. Most kart brakes use kart (silicone) brake fluid, but the DAP I mentioned used automotive brake fluid. Using the wrong fluid can ruin the seals in the master cylinder and caliper!

Just from looking at the picture of the master cylinder I'd also suggest backing off the adjuster nuts on the linkage. It may not be retracting all the way. You can reset and tighten them as necessary after bleeding.

That is a European Righetti Ridolphii brake system. It will need dot 3 brake fluid. It is similar to SKM brakes. You can bleed the system like how it is mentioned above or get a Gravity Bleed system like this. https://cometkartsales.com/Righetti-Ridolphi-Brake-Bleeder-Kit.html or https://cometkartsales.com/WildKart-Brake-Bleeder-Kit.html

You should be able to find some used gravity bleeder much cheaper. It makes it easy to bleed by yourself.

If bleeding the system doesn't work. You'll need new pistons and o-rings. At minimum you'll need O-rings if you rebuild the system.

Is the brake line plastic? It look like it is plastic tubing with compression fittings in the picture. Brake systems normally operate on very high pressure and plastic won't hold up. If not you should also make sure that the lever on the master cylinder is returning to the rest position. Usually once the lever is pressed part way it will close off the inlet portion to master cylinder reservoir. If that Is happening it cannot fill up the line. On cars I have used a bar to wedge the brake pedal part way down while disconnecting the lines so that it will not continue to drip while working on it. If this isn't the case then I would follow the advice above. Change the brake fluid and bleed the system.

Back