Can't start clone??? Pull start.

Jchristy

I bought a new race ready Clone engine for a friend and sold him a kart. I cranked by arm off and It would not hit a lick. A friend came over and he got it started, run great! Cut it off and cranks your arm off again trying to start it. When you get it running? It runs great! It seams to be fuel related but I don't have any spare Clone parts. Any ideas on why it is so hard to start??? It is a new stage 2 Clone???? Any help appreciated. That is why I run a Briggs Blockzilla! Thanks. J.C

Because of the electric start?:)
I'd run one for the power.
could be fuel pump. fuel switch on fully.
carry a can of start fluid
that is an unusual problem 1 pull most of the time.
little screw on the float chamber off to the side is fuel drain check it for fuel.
you have a choke lever? did you use it?

I have used choke, that is the only way it will ever start or cover the air intake with hand. If you ever get it started? It runs great! Sounds to have good power. Run it for 10 minutes on stand, cut it off and it is almost impossible to restart. It has fuel in in line that you can see and when it runs you can see the fuel moving through line. You can't start it with WD-40 either which is highly explosive. I only had it for a short period of time but I did't want to start taking it apart because the gentleman and his son came to pick it up. I explained to him what was going on. It could be a vacum leak between carb and engine block. I want to get it corrected. Something is not right! As I said before, I just bought it new to be race ready! It is a real reliable Kart supplier that I purchased it from! Thanks!

I'm always curious when people say 'it's hard too start...etc, BUT...it runs Great"! In this case....pull the rocker cover and 'check' the valve clearance/lash. JMO

I will pass the info on to the owner! That could be a fix. It had the new cam installed before I received it! Any thing that will fix it is needed info! I am 70 years old now and almost blind. That is the reason I haven't jumped to taking it apart. I know there are a lot if smart guys on here and that is why I have asked for help! Thanks for your input. J.c

Fuel shutoff is on! It just acts like it ain't getting fuel! I can spray WD-40 in intake, no different. I took plug out and sprayed WD-40 straight in cylinder. It never acted any different! Just like it had no fuel. When it does start it will set and idle and also rev-up with good power???. Shut it off and you can crank on it until you are worn out. It don't make good sense!!!

Does it pull easy? Like stated may be a tight vale clearance.
what with setting them for zero clearance if its too tight they won't start, saw it plenty off times .
they can be tedious to set because it changes when you tighten the lock nut.
Ps. I always go for the start fluid---- not sure wd 40 would even burn anymore.
Working by feel or in the dark is tough.

I will pass the info on to the owner! That could be a fix. It had the new cam installed before I received it! Any thing that will fix it is needed info! I am 70 years old now and almost blind. That is the reason I haven't jumped to taking it apart. I know there are a lot if smart guys on here and that is why I have asked for help! Thanks for your input. J.c
Jc...I wish I cud say "I hear you" but, I can't. However, my vision is still 'fairly' good....I'm also '70' and wishing for 'yester-year'....:)

You got that right? I feel like I know a little? but I just didn't want to start tearing stuff apart! I am burned out on working on kart engines even tho I love it! I am really struggling with my eye sight, real Bad!! Thanks Guys for all of your help! I appreciate it!!! I expect something new to start without A dismantle.

did you try increasing the idle adjustment a little at a time? sometimes I have to give the engine a little throttle for it to start.

+1. And if you want to use something out of a spray can to assist starting, don't bother with WD40, that's not what it's for. Use a regular aersol starting starting fluid (ether); they make life a lot easier (says he after trying to pull start a 10hp Tecumseh powered generator on a 28 degree day during a power outage without starting fluid - 20 minutes later I remembered the can of starting ether; sprayed it on the air filter element, 2 pulls and it lit). :)

One of ours we have to make sure all the fuel lines are zip tied including the pulse line from the valve cover and we still need to hold the throttle half way down.

It should start without choking once it has been stated and run! I can fix it , I just didn't want to start tearing into a new bought race ready motor! I guess I was hoping for a good quick fix! Thanks j.c

Back